Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up is here

Monday a very nice chap turned up and no go as no line in yard from pit so digging needed.  He said someone will be contact soon......................How long is soon??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

End of June is the now hopeful date for full set up (pit to house). Is what it is......At least we can crawl along with 12Mbps adsl (even if more frustrating as that was x3 offering at its peak). Roll on 5G:)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

This is a nice modem, much better than my old netgear CG3000 modem.

However, all the settings are locked down (DHCP, Phone/SIP). Which makes sense from a support point of view.

However, If I were to cancel my plan, I have to pay off whatever remains of the $252 cost of the modem. I suppose I then own it, but what use is it if I can't change the SIP settings or DHCP settings? Do I still have to pay or can I return it to Optus?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

You can always discuss what options you have available 72pac but the general rule is you would need to pay for it.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

So once I pay for my modem will Optus unlock the dhcp and voip settings so I can use my modem with someone other than Optus?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

The modem is not locked to the Optus network, I'm not sure if any of the features would change once you start using it with another network.

@Yeldarb might be able to confirm for us, he uses/used his Optus supplied AC800s with another provider.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the ultra will work as a wifi router on another network.

But when I login and look at the configurations, there appears to be no way to change the VOIP/SIP settings, so it would be unable to be used with another providers VOIP service.

The DHCP settings are also unable to be edited.

However, on the "Internet Connectivity->Connection" page there is a setting which says:

"To unlock your device, enter the unique code given by your operator

The code can be requested via Optus Online or Optus Care."

My question is: if I buy the modem, will Optus unlock the VOIP and DHCP settings on my modem, or will I only be able to use it as a wireless access point?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

It could be tricky, as unlocking those area, especially the voip section, could reveal the VoIP login details which Optus does not provide.

Not sure what the new contract is like for the current plans. I say if you cancel the service prior to the contracts ends then you most likely to pay for the cancellation fee or part/high percentage of your monthly access fee. So it is like not getting the service but still pay for it, deterring people from cancelling. If that is the case then the modem payment is still part of the fee.

Maybe Optus can wipe the settings and unlock the modem. Saying that most isp will provide you with their modem. I can’t see how the Optus modem will work fully on the Telstra service other than an access point, they too don’t provide the void settings.

If you are very keen on the VOIP and dhcp settings then BYO modem/access point. You will have then full control of the devices and better overall performance.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

yeah, it's now a month to month plan. I guess the $252 cost of the modem is the cancellation fee?

It just seems to me, if they are making me buy the modem, it would be nice if I could use all its features.

I wonder what that unlock code text box actually does?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

I agree, if you are paying $252 for the modem then you should have full access to it. I wonder if there is an alternative if you don’t want the Optus modem? No access? I guess it is a way to get people to sign up to a contract. Maybe Optus should have some sort of plan rebate, eg pay $252 upfront and will reduce $10 off the monthly plan for every month that you are connected for 24 months.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos