Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up is here

@Jim15

WiFi 6 is also known as 802.11AX.

In the first post in this thread, the WiFi specification was given as 802.11AC for the 5GHz band - that makes this device WiFi 5.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks RedJack.......I was hoping maybe just not mentioned.

Mine has not long arrived and set up / switch on due soon.  Probably could do myself but not looked into and nice part of the service anyway for Optus to do it.  Lack of WiFI 6 is a shame in the value proposition, but doubt I will care as mostly hardwired on anything that really matters anyway...........I won't be finding more out with this router anyway(:

Down to 12Mbps with my ADSL Optus set up from it's old perfectly good (for me) 36, and so the just available NBN 44 will be welcome (assuming really is).  Not exactly trailblazing but as good as what the other place is offering speed wise and looks better value (as an existing customer I guess?)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi
I need to setup my new modem but contact work out how
I followed the links to Optus member services but my user name and password are not working, can you help me?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

@Redjack

Happy to get some clarification on that one : ) 

@cjenkins2010

Are you trying to activate your 4G back-up, or setup the modem for use with your Fixed broadband connection? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Just got this installed.

I disconnected the nbn box and lights began to flash, but it took about 40 seconds to connect me completely to 4g backup .

Once I reconnected the nbn box, it was almost instantly back to my nbn internet, and it was seamless with no internet loss.

Would be awesome if it seamlessly went to 4g after a disconnect.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hello, I got the new Optus modem supposedly with 4G back up.

My NBN can be flaky when it rains (yes, really), so I went to Optus and asked for the new router with 4G backup.

Has anyone poked around on this?

I dug into the settings for Internet Connectivity and "3G/LTE" was switched off. I turned on "Enable".

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't it have come out of the box turned on? There were no instructions re the 4G backup.

There's no place to put in a SIM on the unit.

Anyone understand how this works or if I am missing something?

I have linked to a screenshot. Have I set this up correctly?

Thanks

Andrew

Screenshot: https://app.box.com/s/8vwtkm04l2l03r2hkko2s4mhkf4vfvzc

UPDATE

So the router I got is black. The document that came with it made no mention of 4G.

On the Optus website, they have a white router with the same model number but a different front display panel with a signal strength meter and a different back design (with a panel I assume for a SIM and or antennas).

https://www.optus.com.au/broadband-nbn/home-broadband/plans/shop#optusultramodem

And this: https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/The-Optus-Ultra-WiFi-modem-with-4G-back-up-is-h...

Have I been sent the wrong router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you have the 5366TN which has a USB-C that I guess supports some model of 4G modem plug in, it is not the new modem as discussed in this thread (although does have reasonable performance apart from being nearly completely non configurable with all the Optus lock down of settings).

Edit: oh, really dumb Optus, they called this new model the 5366TN also!!! I have the black one from a few months ago, has the 4G tick box option for whatever brand USB-C stick that Sagemcom intended it for (that feature never detailed as yet).
I ditched that option as my primary router and am running OpenWRT with a regular USB 4G Optus modem (E3372 hacked with stick firmware rather than the Huawei Hilink NAT rubbish) running as backup using "MWAN3" to do the failover. The 5366 is a glorified phone line termination box in my setup.
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well today the fanfayre was ready and the 4K TV ready to plug into the new 44 speed NBN from the now fairly dismally throttled (to us at least for whatever good or bad reason)  ADSL. I was also excitedly at the ready to cancel my MiFi (not cheap).

In 2020 this Sydney suburb was finally going to provide me with broadband, even is hardly flash v other global places of any note.

A very nice NBN tech informed us that sadly there was no line from that company that starts with a T.

Touchwood between Optus and NBN this cable laying wait is expedited and that the surgery to my front yard is tidy (I am sure it will be).

Guess another few weeks until all finally sorted.................................

Al that remains, for now, is to contemplate filling out the survey I got yesterday asking me how it all went .............(:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have just received a Sagemcom 5366 LTE for a new NBN connection, switching over from Optus ADSL.  As noted in your modem description, it came with a SIM already inserted.  I also received another separate Optus mobile broadband SIM and you suggest that the preinstalled one should be replaced.

My questions (because there are zero instructions supplied with the modem about the SIM and 4G backup) are:

1.  If there is a pre-installed SIM why do I need a different one?

2.  Is the 4G backup function supplied by this SIM included in the monthly Optus internet $75 price or is it another additional charge and service?

3.  If I try to activate the separately supplied SIM, it first prompts me online to select either postpaid or prepaid and I'm not sure which it should be.

4.  Can I elect to operate the modem without a SIM and backup service, especially if it is an additional cost?

Tks

Solo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

All really great questions 🙂 

It's a temporary solution to an issue we had come up. Essentially, the wrong SIM cards were being dispatched. 

We needed to send out SIM cards separately that were compatible with the 4G Back up service.  The SIMs are already activated. If the SIM does not work, head into an Optus store and they'll replace the SIM with a working SIM card. 

There is no additional charge. The service is intended as interim service whilst waiting for your broadband service activation or in the instance of a fault or network outage. 

(hopefully that answers the last questions as well) 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy