Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up is here

I can't see why this is not available to existing business customers on current plans. Telstra and Vodaphone have it as standard

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hmm, it's all based on contract you agreed to at point of sale. 

The new modem comes with a recurring monthly payment option or an outright option. You'll need to have received the contract which outlines the modem payment arrangement. 

Potentially,you could look at changing your plan to the current Broadband offer. There's the $75.00 Internet Everyday offer and Internet Entertainer

You can try using our online rate plan change portal, but I'm unsure of the time that it'll take to action (due to the  back-office delays we're having across the board).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Dan_ 

Thanks for your reply. I did change the plan on the 2nd of April from $70 plan to the $90.00 plan with Fetch TV order No 146242407A. I got the Fetch TV box but didn't get a new modem. Considering the fact that Optus left me 3 weeks without a phone line and the fact that I have opted for a new higher category plan, least they could do is to send me a modem with 4G backup. Sorry to whinge like this on a public forum, but I cannot get through to customer service. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Gee I am fortunate, I pinged at 182ms and got 1.5Mbps down and 0.03 up. Still pathetic but it works 😛
0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

If you're an ADSL customer, order your Static IP online.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Does it do fixed line voice to mobile failover? (i.e. if the underlying fixed line service is not working, will it fail over the VoIP service to the mobile connection instead?)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@DanMelbourne I read on the information pages that voice services and things like Fixed IP addresses ( @Taylo24r ) wouldn't be supported when you fail over to the 4G service. There was also a comment that it could take up to 6 minutes for the failover to kick in - @Dan_C can you confirm?
Highlighted
Blog Author

The product has always been advertised as 4G Broadband back-up service (for use as interim data service before your fixed service is activated and if there's a broadband access issue)

As soon you lose connectivity to your Fixed Broadband connection, your 4G back up service will automatically kick in. 

Six minutes sounds oddly specific @Redjack. I'd think a couple of minutes (max). I don't have first hand experience with the service, but our device testing team have never mentioned a 6-minute lag time. 

It could also depend on the strength of 4G signal in your area. If the network indicator is lit up and you're still unable to use your 4G back-up,  a signal issue is the most likely culprit.

If that's the case, you can always try re-positioning your modem (close to a window and away from any obstructionist). 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

WiFi 6 ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello @Dan_C 

The reference to the device taking a long six minutes (or 'as long as' 😉 ) to fail over is in the FAQ section.

https://www.optus.com.au/broadband-nbn/home-broadband/plans/shop

How long will the Optus Ultra WiFi Modem take to switch over to LTE/4G network?

During broadband service faults, the switch over to the mobile backup/interim service takes approximately one to six minutes.

Given the ACCC and NBN flag outages of over 30 seconds for comparative ISP performance tables, I would have though that <30sec would be the response time;

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/internet-landline-services/broadband-performance-data

0 Kudos