Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

The Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up is here

Optus Ultra WiFi modem w 4G back-up.png

We’re passionate about improving the reliability and stability of your Home WiFi, that’s why we’re excited to announce the launch of our new Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up.  

The Optus Ultra WiFi modem is only available on eligible Optus Home Broadband plans. For set-up and installation tips, check out the Optus Ultra WiFi modem quick start guide.

Get to know the Optus Ultra WiFi modem:

Instant access to the internet

The Optus Ultra WiFi Modem is easy to set-up and will have you connected in no time. You’ll have instant access to our 4G Network right out of the box.1  

A more reliable broadband connection for your home or business

If there’s a problem with your broadband connection, your Optus Ultra WiFi modem will automatically switch to the 4G Network where available.1  

Reduced down time, so you'll always be connected

With 4G back-up, you'll have access to the internet whilst we work to resolve a fault or outage on your fixed line.2

The Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up front.png

Device specifications

Connection ports:

1 X A/VDSL WAN port
1 X Gigabit Ethernet WAN port
1 X LTE CAT 12 Wireless WAN Back-up
4 X Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports
2 X FXS ports
1 X USB Type -C Port

Dual Band Wireless LAN:

IEEE 802.11n 3 Rx by 3T x 2.4GHz
IEEE 802.11ac 4Rx by 4T X 5GHz
Automatic channel selection
WEP/WPA/WPA2
WMM/ WPS

Frequently asked questions

Q: If I’m an existing Fixed Broadband customer, can I upgrade to the new Optus Ultra WiFi modem?

A: Yes, you can. However; you must sign up to one of our new Optus plans.

If you’re an existing Optus Broadband customer on an old Optus Home Broadband offer, we’re unable to provide you with the Optus Ultra WiFi modem if you stay on this plan.

At this stage, the modem is only available to customers who’ve signed up or re-contracted to an eligible Home Broadband offer. Eligible rate plans include the:

If you do decide to switch to an eligible new plan and remain connected for 36 months, you will not be charged for the modem.

Note: You will see a monthly $7.00 charge and corresponding $7.00 credit each month on your bill (as Optus will cover the $252 modem cost over 36 months). If you decide to cancel your broadband plan within 36 month of signing up, you will need to pay out the remaining cost of your modem (i.e. $7 times the number of remaining months).   

After 36 months of connection, you’ll no longer see a charge or credit on your monthly Optus bill. If you cancel before 36 months, the remaining cost of your modem will appear on your last Optus bill.  

Q: How do I calculate the amount left owing on my modem? 

A: We'll calculate the amount owing on your modem based on the number of months you've been on your rate plan.  

For example, if you've remained on the same rate plan for 24 months of the 36 month term, you'll have 12-months’ worth of repayments remaining.  

That means you’ve paid $7.00 per month for 24 months, which is then deducted from the $252.00 cost of the modem. That leaves you with a remaining device repayment of $84.00.  

Q: How do I activate the 4G back up service?

A: You do not need to activate your 4G back up service. The modem will arrive with a SIM pre-inserted. If you received a SIM at point of sale or had a different delivery for the Modem and the SIM, you will need to remove the pre-inserted SIM and place the separately provided SIM into the modem.

Mobile backup is available from the day you receive your Optus Ultra WiFi Modem up until your Fixed Broadband service is fully activated. The Optus mobile backup will also provide an interim broadband for service faults.  

As soon you lose connectivity to your Fixed Broadband connection, your 4G back up service will automatically kick in. Mobile backup is limited to 30 consecutive days, unless you contact Optus with a problem. After 30 days, we may suspend the mobile backup until your fixed connection is online again. 

Q: How do I know when my Optus Ultra WiFi modem has switched to 4G back up mode? 

A: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem has a Network and Signal light indicator. When the modem is in 4G back up mode, the Network indicator will light up. The Signal indicator will display the strength of your 4G signal.  

Q: How can I access the modem’s advanced settings and configuration page (GUI)? 

A: Open your Web Browser on your computer or mobile device. Type http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar. From here, you’ll be able to change your WiFi Network name (SSID) and password (WiFi Key). 

Q: Will I have access to the same service features when using the 4G back up service? 

A: Some services or service features may not work while the Optus Ultra WiFi Modem is using the 4G back up service. This includes but is not limited to voice service (if applicable), Static IP (if applicable) and any speed upgrade on your home broadband service (if applicable). While using the backup service on your Optus Ultra WiFi Modem, Fetch will be supported on a best effort basis. Keep in mind, Mobile backup is limited to 30 consecutive days unless you contact Optus with a problem.  

Q: Are there data limits or speed caps in place on the 4G back up service?  

A: There are no data caps in place; however, the speed of your 4G back up service is limited to a maximum line speed of 12Mbps for downloads and 1 Mbps for uploads. Speeds are variable on the Optus 4G mobile network and will depend on several factors, including:

• Congestion
  • Location of the modem,
  • Local conditions,
  • Hardware, software and general internet traffic
  • Optus Fair Go Policy applies.

Q: Can I use the Optus Ultra WiFi modem in another place other than my home? 

A: No, Your Optus Ultra WiFi Modem must only be used at your home broadband service address. 

Q: Where can I find support for modem installation?

A: For information on modem installation, please check out our modem user guide here

1Optus Ultra WiFi Modem requires Optus 4G coverage. 4G download speed is variable and limited to 12/1Mbps. 2 Optus NBN typical busy period with 44Mbps download speed is 7-11pm for consumers and 9am-5pm (Mon-Fri) for businesses. Subject to line speed capability on FTTB/FTTC/FTTN post connection. See optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/nbn-speed-packs for more information about Optus nbn™ speeds. Available in selected homes. Fair go policy applies.

58 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up is here

What a cool looking modem. Given I already have a 4G device can I get one of those as backup. 😀

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I've been using the 4g wireless from Optus and the past 3 days it has been getting speeds of 0.01 mbps. You should not be pushing your products out when they can't perform under the obvious strain of work from home. 

For anyone thinking of taking this option, your internet will be un-useable and you will not be able to get any support through this difficult time.  This is not a work from home or viable solution to anyone

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

The primary function is for use on our Fixed Network. The idea is a back-up service for customers who have a fault with their service or there's a wide Fixed Broadband outage. It doesn't run on the fixed network and 4G network concurrently.

Either one or the other (depending on the situation)

Given the difficult situation we're all faced with, I think it's actually a good thing to have, especially for those working from home.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

haha, you want a 4G back-up for your 4G device?

@Yeldarb
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The amount of data I use and the way I use it calls for as many backups as possible. 😀 I have gone from using 2 computers at once to 3 and my more poor 4G WiFi devices keep going flat. 

New Contributor
New Contributor

Yea it's definitely a great idea... Especially for those working from home...

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

I understand what you're saying. You're concerned that if the modem reverts to the back-up service, then other wireless services in the area will suffer.

We're trying our best to increase Network capacity where we can. It's one of many challenges we're working through on our side.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can you use this as just the modem and have the wifi disabled? Asking as I have a Netgear orbi setup and want to continue using that as the wifi and only have this in use as a stock modem. Will the 4g kick in?
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@Dan_C, how are you?

As an existing customer, I have to switch to a new plan to get this modem? Is it possible to keep my existing plan? Do I buy it outright instead?

Would using the MyOptus App or Facebook be the best way to order one?

Stay safe

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos