cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

The Optus Internet Assistance Kit

The Optus Internet Assistance Kit can be used during a Mass Service Disruption (MSD) or whilst we work on resolving your internet fault.

Included within the kit is the Huawei E5573 4G Mobile Broadband Wi-Fi modem and a Prepaid SIM preloaded with 50GB of data.

Whilst the Kit is intended to be used as interim service, we suggest that it be used for general internet browsing and crucial services such as email.

Keep in mind, your 50GB allowance comes with an expiry of 28 days from the day of activation.

How do I set up the Optus Internet Assistance Kit? 

To set up your kit and connect to the internet, you will need to:

1. Pop open the back cover on your device and place your SIM Card into the slot on the modem (make sure it is facing the right way)

2. Insert the battery then before you replace the back cover, write down both the wireless network connection Name (SSID) and the Security Key (Wi-Fi Key) that are on the inside of the back cover.

3. Charge the battery using the USB cable supplied (it will take 12 hours to charge fully but you can start using the modem while it is charging.

4. Turn on and connect the modem to your device (either by USB or Wi-Fi). If you’re connecting via Wi-Fi, you’ll need to use the SSID and Wi-Fi Key you wrote down earlier.

5. Activate your SIM online and reboot your device.

6. Open a browser window and head to the settings menu by typing ‘http://192.168.8.1’ into the address field and hitting Enter.

7. Click Login in the top right-hand corner of the page then enter your Username and password and click Login again (the default username and password is ‘admin’)

8. Change your password to a more secure one.

9. Select Update from the menu bar at the top and check for software updates (once your SIM Card is activated)

Please note: you will need ID (either your passport, driver’s license or Medicare card) or your credit card to complete the activation process.

Once you’ve set up your Internet Assistance Kit, you can check your data usage, by logging in to My Account.

FAQs  

How do I add additional data to the device?

Your data is used in 1KB increments and includes both uploads and downloads.

You can “top-up” your device by recharging online.

You can also recharge directly from your bank, at a participating 7-Eleven store or set-up Auto Recharge.

Please note: You can recharge to a maximum of 50GB on your service. You will forfeit any data you recharge over this 50GB limit.

What do I do with the kit once my home internet is working?

The Optus Internet Assistance Kit is yours to keep. Use it as a mobile Wi-Fi device while travelling, share it with family and friends or keep it in the car for on the road internet access. Please note, however, that if you don’t add any data to the device within 200 days of activating it, your SIM Card will deactivate. If that happens, don’t worry, just head here to order a new SIM pack to be sent out.

Why have I received the Optus Internet Assistance Kit?

You have mostly likely received this kit as you have a fault with your home internet that is affected by a delay or there’s a Mass Service Disruption in your area.

How long does it take for the Optus Internet Assistance Kit to be delivered?

For Metro areas, the kit should be delivered within 1-2 working days. For Regional areas, please allow 2+ working days.

If you would like to check the status of your delivery, please enter the order number sent to you via SMS into our tracking site.

How many devices can I connect to the modem at the same time?

You can connect up to 10 Wi-Fi compatible devices at one time. If you are connecting one device via USB, then 9 other devices can be connected via Wi-Fi. If you are using the device as a Wi-Fi extender, then only 9 Wi-Fi enabled devices can be connected.

How do I find out the Service Number for my Optus Internet Assistance Kit?
Find your service number using My Account or on your bill.  

0 Kudos