cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Testing your Optus internet speed

Testing your internet speed is straight forward. As long as you have a device with a web browser, you’re already half way there.

When to run a speed test? 

If you’re experiencing slower than expected internet speeds, we’ll always suggest running a speed test before contacting us. Remember, always check our Network status page to confirm if there’s a planned or unplanned outage as it may be the cause of the issue you're experiencing.

How to run a speed test?

Perform a speed test on Ookla.JPG

You can run a speed test via the My Optus app. Alternatively if you with to run a wired speed test, we suggest Ooklas's speed testAll you’ll need is a browser with the Adobe Flash Player (this should be installed by default on some of most commonly used Web Browsers). Follow the steps below:

1. Hit the Go button and Ooklah’s speed test will calculate your download and upload speed

2. The Speed test can take seconds to a matter of minutes to complete,(depending on the speed of your connection

3. Once testing has been completed, you'll see below screen:

Ookla Speed test results.png

4. You'll see your download and upload speed measured in Mbps

The types of speed tests to perform

• Run a speed test over your WiFi Network
  • Run a wired speed test from your laptop or computer to your modem (Ethernet)
  • For NBN (Fibre to the premises and Fixed Wireless), run a wired speed test from your laptop/desktop directly to the NTD (Network Termination Device)

Achieving the most accurate speed test results

For the most accurate result, a wired speed test is your best bet. A wired speed test will always give you the best indication of your current connection speed. To start, you'll need an Ethernet cable. You'll have received a yellow or red Ethernet cable in the box which arrived with your modem. 

modemethernet.jpeg

If you have a device with a LAN port, plug one end of the cable into the LAN port of your device and the other end into a spare port at the back of your modem.

Why WiFi speed test results aren't always accurate 

When performing a speed test over WiFi make sure to disconnect all other devices from your WiFi network other than the device you're using for testing. Speed test results can be impacted by:

• Interference caused by devices running on a similar frequency to another device (even commonly used household appliances like microwaves)

• Congestion on your WiFi network caused by multiple devices connected to the same WiFi Network 

• Poor modem placement resulting in the loss of signal strength                                                                                                                    

What if I don’t have a LAN input? 

If you don't own a device with a LAN or Ethernet input, there’s a few things you can do to produce an accurate WiFi speed test result:

• Make sure only one device is connected to your WiFi Network

• Make sure that you’re not downloading or uploading any files in the background. To be absolutely certain, open your Task manager (Windows) or Activity Monitor (MAC). Close or force quit applications that are using up your bandwidth

If you have any questions or any additional tips to add, leave us with a comment below 😊

Labels (2)
4 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Testing your Optus internet speed

Hey optus,

Our speed test is .062 and upload is .023 

I realise it is a time of high usage though our neighbours feel unaffected in their internet.

We have contact Optus many times, on average 4 times a year about the speed, so this is not an isolated incident. We called Optus today and waiting time was 30 minutes, after 60 minutes there was an automatic response saying there are technical difficulties, It concerned me I rethe company itself has tech difficulties!  then the call automatically hung up.

I realise this is a time of patience, though it has come after many attempts to work this out, and these are simply the facts of the situation.

We work from home and sending a 700mb packing will take an estimate 16 hours, fingers crossed the wifi stabolise.

I would really appreciate this being fixed once. We would simply like a solution for our investment in finance and time as I am sure many of your customers would also like.

Many thank,
Rick

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @frostydays, thanks for reaching out to us here about this.

Firstly, I do apologise that you've had some trouble getting in touch over the phone. As you can imagine, wait times are higher right now as we deal with COVID-19 impacts but we're still trying to get back to everyone and we definitely care. 

That's definitely a disappointing speed to be seeing - especially when you're trying to get some work done!

Without knowing your service type or looking at it's diagnostics I can only offer general troubleshooting steps, but they should hopefully improve things for you. 

You can find our guides on improving your Internet connection/speed here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Alex, Thankyou for the reply. Unfortunately, Optus seems to train employees to sugar coat answer but when I comes to action and change, there is little movement. As stated this has been a long serving problem, and it should have been resolved. Very unfortunate. I would however like to hear about action that will lead to improved service. Thankyou for the link. Unfortunately no improvement.
Rick
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

The phone is ticking on 1 hour and 52 minutes, and waiting. Our internet service won’t even allow a skype call. In the paper, the Optus CEO said using is up 10-15 percent. How are educators supposed to teach 25 children online? I will have to explain this to the parents.
0 Kudos