cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor eekles
Occasional Contributor

Terrible installation process x 2

I've been through (still going through a similarly painful process).

Put in relocation request for a new house I bought.  Service activation date set 2 weeks later, 1 week after I move in.

Take day off to wait for technician. Telstra technician shows up, 60 seconds after stepping into my house, plugs a device to hear dial tone from my wall socket.  Confirms phone line works and walks out. Spent less than 3 mins in my house (well, that was easy......)

Too bad Optus hadn't bothered to send me a modem to check on the day. Spend 20mins on Live Chat and get tracking number for modem. It's a Friday, and still interstate. Luckily it arrives on the following Monday using a Toll priority overnight bag.

Monday night: Plug modem into wall, doens't work. Can't seem to sync. Also was sent a letter showing ADSL account login but no password. Letter says to use 'existing dial up account' password. I never had a dial up account?!? Wat?

Call optus, 40mins on hold waiting to speak to someone. Live Chat doesn't work.  Do the usual diagnostic stuff. Turn off modem, disconnect line, Support staff runs some tests. Restart modem, run isolation test (house only has 1 phone socket and no other devices or alarms connected).

Apparently the line is faulty.

Another technician ordered for next Friday to investigate line fault. Great. I need to take ANOTHER day off work to wait for technician. I'm going to guess they'll plug their device back into the same socket and say "it works perefectly fine" and leave again.

It's a free-standing house which was renovated and fully re-wired in 2016 and I know the previous owners had internet connected without issues, but they were with Telstra. Apparently my phone line on Friday was fine but by Monday it's faulty and I need to wait another week for someone to investigate. If there is a fauly, it'd take longer until it's resolved. 

Also, can't get my ADSL login password until after the technician visits. Why? What if I plug it in and it works before then? I can't even login.  Will be forced to spend another 40mins on hold until I can speak to someone again just to get my account password in a few weeks time. Fantastic.

To add insult to injury, pretty sure I've been billed for internet I can't even use, lol.

Options:

Terminate Optus service. Do I really want to be paying for internet I can't use for 1-2months?  Sign up to Telstra

Get Optus to give me a home wireless modem in the meantime?

4 Replies
Moderator Shauna

Re: Terrible installation process x 2

Hi @eekles - thanks for reaching out.

I can appreciate that this must be extremely frustrating, especially having to take time off work. 
With regards to the billing side of things, you shouldn't be receiving bills if you haven't yet plugged in the modem. If you have, then of coarse we'd credit what you haven't used. We wouldn't make you pay for something you haven't had.

Do you have any fault reference numbers we could look into? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So the technician came around. Confirmed the connection to my house is fine. No central filters, dial tone present. Even the technician was surprised....I should be able to get online.

Next I chat to Optus live chat. Says someone will call me back on the Saturday. Nothing. Get a SMS saying they'll call the next morning. Nothing. Asked again on Monday what's happening. Nobody can tell me. Need to wait for that call back. More waiting...

Now, I've got my bill from Optus. Was charged a delivery fee for a modem which didn't even arrive when my connection was supposed to be working...but it doesn't matter since I can't get online anyway. 

Asked about getting a wireless dongle or some kind of temporary access. Nope. Can't do thatI. have a mobile plan with Optus which I need to constantly hotspot for internet access. What happens if I exceed my quota? My guess is nothing. I'll have to cop it.

Asked about cancelling my contract since I relocated from previous address.  Apparently there is a fee. Really want to cancel the contract based on poor (well, non existent) performance, but nobody on live chat can help.

So end of the day, I have no internet access, no update on what's wrong, when it's scheduled to be fixed and I can't cancel my contract because I'll get a penalty even though Optus hasn't delivered anything to me yet (except a bill).

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Case number: 18267262.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Certainly not good to hear of the run around you've had to do during this issue. I've checked that fault ticket and can see they have been in touch with a new technician booking this morning. The next step from their end is to follow up once the technician had passed on their findings.

Once the fault ticket is closed and resolved, we'll be sure to adjust any invoices that cover the affected dates. If you shoot me a private message with your account number, full name and DOB, I will raise a request for an internet assistance kit while this is on-going.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Top Contributors