cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Telstra just upgraded all Cable customers to 55mb/s, will Optus?

Hi all,

Telstra's just performed a free upgrade of Cable internet (not NBN) customers from ~30Mb/s download 1Mb/s upload, to 55Mb/s and 5Mb/s. (https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/373668, https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/cable-upgrade, https:...)

I can't find any response from Optus - is the Speed Pack being discounted?  Are base speeds being upgraded is well? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Telstra just upgraded all Cable customers to 55mb/s, will Optus?

I'd be surprised if they do anything at all but at the same time, I'm surprised Telstra did this given where we're at with the NBN. Either way though you won't get much of a response on here other then that they'll pass your feedback on. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'm sure Optus are keeping an eye on the competition moves. 

FWIW both Optus andTelstra throttle their HFC upload speeds. It seem Telstra has just stopped doing this. There may be technical reasons why Optus can't also take off the throttle (essentially network performance might be badly affected if it gets congested).

Optus don't appear to have officially repriced their speed packs but they do seem to be giving free upgrades on request. That's not certain but shouldn't hurt to ask (the upgrade will only affect download speeds)

The base speed will probably stay as is. Its close to a junk tier anyway and should never have been sold, but most of the Telcos decided to spruik it so they could keep prices down. NBNCo has more recently discounted the 50Mbps tier so now they (Telcos) don't have to short change customers anymore.

Regards

Peter  Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

https://www.zdnet.com/article/telstra-confirms-cable-broadband-speed-boost/?ftag=TRE7ed2633&bhid=206...

Telstra confirms cable broadband speed boost

Around 500,000 Telstra cable broadband customers will see their speeds increase from 30/1Mbps to 50/5Mbps thanks to an upgrade.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

awww shucks 😛

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Out of curiosity, why do you think Telstra did this? Do you think it's them trying to get more people onto their HFC network so when the NBN comes along they simply stick with Telstra and transition to the "new" technology? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

If it is, Optus would have the same reasoning. Ie keep customers for the changeover

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@SamSam

Telstra seems to have gotten pretty proactive in embracing the NBN 6-12 months ago. Not sure if it was because of its prior national carrier status, chats from the accc or what. However all RSPs took a pretty dismal approach early on (Optus was particularly aggressive and took advantage of the confusion IMO). Early sales of min speed plans and bad transition stories were rife. This surprised me as the NBN means the cable network is no longer a unique advantage for Telstra and Optus. The need to win customer share now was/is presumably high. Optus seems to have concentrated on content as the draw (Fetch, Netflix, EPL, etc.) but its underlying service has suffered. It has been treating customers as there for Optus, instead of the other way around. Telstra has instead been pivotting towards improved customer experience (increase NBN transparency and communication as well as shoring up the basic service so that it works well.)

A simple example is this speed boost. Made possible because the NBNCo is effectively selling 50Mbps plan for 25Mbps prices wholesale. Optus haven't passed that on but are apparently upgrading customers if they call and ask (maybe). Telstra has just automatically boosted all customers to the new speeds and moved on. Optus is often critisised for leaving customers on old expensive plans, here is an oportunity to improve their customer experience and satisfaction and instead they are just pocketing the savings.

The 5Mbps boost is an interesting one though. That's not NBN related and many though not possible to offer on the old Telstra HFC network. I suspect Telstra are just doing it because they can. Again possibly to get customers thinking of upload speeds and the new NBN capability, but ultimately its about doing right by you customer in a NBN world where customer disatisfaction can now pretty instantly translate into a lost customer (not to mention a lot of bad online reviews., the likes of which Telstra used to get a lot of)

Hopefully Optus management can shift their focus in time.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos