Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Technically support ASAP please.

I've called customer support for internet restore earlier this evening (21st Nov) However, it hasn't restored. Bill was paid well over 18 hours ago, and the 20 minute restore wait time after calling customer support was over 2 hours ago. I've rebooted modem and devices etc.. why isn't my internet working or restored?? 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Technically support ASAP please.

If you get cut off then getting back on takes time. Upto 48 hours in some cases.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My problem started on 17 Nov at around 9am when I first noticed an exclamation mark on my wifi symbol on my mobile phone, then I realized we cannot login to most secured sites like internet banking, schools and education sites, business websites and not even Optus Account Dashboard nor eBay login.

Our utmost concern was that my children cannot login to their school and education sites when they need to study for their VCE and school examination during this time of the year, causing more stress on them and affecting their performance.

We tried using Chrome, Firefox and IE browsers on 6 different computers and 5 mobile phones , restarted router/modem multiple times but nothing works.

I finally turned on my phone mobile hotspot wifi for them to use one at a time and everything works fine however the minute they switched back to Optus Broadband connection, it simply hung and stucked with the popular screen "This site can't be reached" .

Very obviously something has changed in the Optus Broadband network that blocked secured websites on 17 Nov morning.

I had raised the problem ticket with the technical support via Live-Chat and contacted them multiple times but was put into a "wait 24 hours callback response" cycle one after another and still nothing heard from them until today. I have even suggested to them the simple solution to them to investigate the changes made during that timeline on 17Nov and revert back the changes should have resolved the issue, but I don't believe any action was taken. They consistently failed to deliver the service and the problem still consistently persisted. I tried ringing their support  number multiple times but only to wait forever and listening to the machine. I am making a complain to ombudsman tomorrow morning.

Given the impact and inconveniences this is still causing, my family's confidence with Optus has now shaken and seriously considering whether we should continue to pay premium rates but such disappointing support that even 2nd or 3rd tier service provider could do better.  We are looking at the cheaper 2nd tier retailers now that the new NBN is ready and knocking on our door.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hi @MeeJulie11,

I hope that since posting we've managed to get you back up and running. In some instances we may require you to report your payment (generally for services that have been restricted by our financial services team). Depending on the chosen payment method, we mightn’t receive the funds until 24-48 hours. You can always report a payment via http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/how-to-report-a-payment-or-restore-your-service?requestT....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Ah, that doesn't too good @chan_pc, thanks for coming through and letting us know.

At this stage, what's the primary issue you're facing? You have limited - no internet access at home or you're unable to access specific websites? Are you able to confirm your post code for us? I know there was an outage in NSW that did occur around the same time frame that you've mentioned. It sounds like you've done as much trouble shooting as you can do from your end however there’s something else we can try. Have you asked you to performing traceroute? That way we can establish whether it's a routing issue.

Do you have a security suite installed on any of your devices? You don't have an active firewall that might be restricting your access to certain websites? The more information we have the better position we'll be in to help out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @chan_pc,

You've possibly confused things by mentioning the "bill being paid". Catching up that you're talking about a techincal issue here, not a payment one.

From what you say, you can access many other sites (like www.theage.com.au)? Usually if Optus is involved in connection issues it's either all or nothing. That you can access some websites suggests the issue may be with your modem itself. I see you've used multiple devices to check the issue so its ubnlikely to be a setting on them. Can you access your modem setup and see if any security potocols have been engaged (firewall? ports? etc.)

Another thought would be to disable wifi on the modem. See if that fixes your problem

As simpler (and more drastic) way to discount the modem would be to do a factory reset. Go in and record your settings (YOu could use the backup option, but a 'restore' could possibly reimport the issue you're trying to remove). Then factory reset and re-set up your modem.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response guys.

The issue is we were not able to access/login to many sites not all, especially those required login/authentication like ibanking, schools, education, business websites like ebay and not even optus.com.au to check my account. I did some simple tests using nslookup and it was returning timeout errors when done via Optus broadband, but it works perfect when I connect via other wifi like my phone mobile hotspot and as well as at my neighbouring friend's home TPG broadband with my laptop. I would agree that the modem may need factory reset if everything fails but this is not the case, yahoo and google email still works. I repeatedly told the support staffs something must have changed on 17 Nov that gone very wrong in the Optus network or DNS services in my area, postal code Vic 3135 and coincidentally NBN is rolling in to my area during this period. My DNS servers as I checked in my modem are 198.142.152.164/198.142.152.165 , my default GW is 49.177.84.1.  Here's the result from my tests for your interests.

Connect via my Optus Broadband:

C:\>nslookup

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Default Server:  UnKnown

Address:  fe80::1070:dd83:bf48:75a5

> www.google.com.au

Server:  UnKnown

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

> www.yahoo.com.au

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

> www.optus.com.au

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Connecting via my mobile wifi :

C:\>nslookup

Default Server:  UnKnown

Address:  192.168.43.1

> www.google.com.au

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    www.google.com.au

Addresses:  2404:6800:4006:807::2003

> www.yahoo.com.au

Name:    src.g03.yahoodns.net

Address:  106.10.212.150

Aliases:  www.yahoo.com.au

src.yahoo.com

> www.optus.com.au

Name:    e6356.a.akamaiedge.net

Address:  184.24.247.7

Aliases:  www.optus.com.au

optus.com.au.edgekey.net

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter, in response I tested www.theage.com.au was also not working here. Others sites that works like Google and maps, https://www.coles.com.auhttps://www.woolworths.com.au/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The thing is that there's nothing special about your house when it comes resolving the internet. Every Optus customer sends requests (and gets back responses) from the Internet via the same essential route. No connection might mean something is up with the specific route (e.g. wire cut etc.) but some connection means Optus (and the internet) is connected.

In a nutshell, an issue with high level routing would affect many more people than just yourself.

My money would be on the modem at the moment, as that is common to all your devices and unique to your household.

You haven't said if any firewall settings etc. have activate? Also try setting your DNS to 8.8.8.8 (Google) and see if that does anything. 

Otherwise, annoying though it is you might need to run through a factory reset, if only so you can discount Optus saying the issue might be a setting on your modem.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again Peter. I heeded your advise and take the pain to factory reset the modem and that really relieved my pain from the last few days. The problem is now resolved, my family all smiley face now. Regret I should have just do it when first happened, lesson learned. I am happy now even though I still need to reinstate my wifi, storage and parental control settings, it was quick/easy as I have saved a copy before resetting but hope I don't have to do that too often. I will monitor for few more days before closing the case. You are the champ mate.

Cheers,

Chan