cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor MataH
New Contributor

Technical spam call

Hi, I received a phone call from a person claiming to be a Optus technician. He informed me that my internet connection was hacked.

I was very suspicious but went along with him anyway. He asked me to turn my computer on, so I did. He asked me to open Event Viewer and then show a list of application event logs. I was asked to open one of the logs, and he then asked if there was an option to delete to entry. There was no such option, to which he explained that there should be a delete button, and this was "proof" that my computer is under attack. He then asked me to go to the team viewer web site, at which point I refused to go any further, and  I hanged up.

These people did not try to identify me when I answered the call, ie ask me to confirm my user name/account number/address etc. not even my name. When I asked them to send me an email with details and instructions, they refused saying they couldn't as emails were handled by the mail department.

I'd like to know if someone else received that kind of call, but also how they got my number as it is on private listing and I never give that one. It seems to be leacked from Optus.  I wanted to report them to Optus but all is closed for the weekend.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Technical spam call

Its a common scam and I would suggest you never give personal information to anyone who calls you no matter how genuine they may sound. If in doubt about something I would suggest you ring the company yourself using a number you know to be correct.

0 Kudos
New Contributor MataH
New Contributor

Yes, That's what I did.  As I wrote I tried to call Optus but they don't answer during the weekend.

Cheers.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That scam normally doesn't end well as once you give them remote access to fix your computer they often infect the computer with viruses so you keep coming back to them. Unfortunately many people take time to wise up to what is going on and by that time the damage is done. Glad it ended well for you. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos