Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Tech support denied To fix slow internet

Hey so had this problem with slow internet 0.1 mbps called the tech support 70 mins before i could speak to Rajeev (case manager) then he puts me on hold for 12 mins guess he was busy. Checks my ticket which was opened on 11 nov 2018. said there is fault in my internal wiring cant help. I said i already spoke to private technician then he goes no its your wiring cant help. I said you are not helping me he says i can see that. Is it a joke? Why would optus hire such incompetent people. Been with optus for 3 yrs never spoke to a guy like this. I requested to speak to Rajeev's manager he said he is the case manager there is no one else i can speak to.   

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Tech support denied To fix slow internet

Hi @Nhsyd,

The CS should probably have explained option better. What he will have checked is the line speed between Optus and your modem (essentially a reverse speed test). If he can confirm a high connection speed then the issue is likely to be on your end. You can request Optus send out a technician and they will plug their own gear into your modem to confirm its running ok end to end. If not then they'll presumably replace/fix something. If it is working then you may be up for a $250 call out fee. 

Before you request it I would try the following two tests. 

1) Remove all CAT5 cable connections to the modem except one to your PC.

2) Turn off any equipment connected to the modem wifi except for your phone. (Turn off phone 4G access)

3) Run speed tests on your PC and phone to confirm both remain low.

Peter Gillespie

PS Also if there is any option make sure any cables are screwed in tightly to the back of the modems and wall plate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Actually the tech support can see that the connection is indeed slow. But he is insisting that the problem is internal wiring. I had an electrician test it 3 months ago he said wiring is fine. Even the trchnician who came on 6 nov said nothings wrong with the socket or wiring problem is with optus. On 15 Nov another tech came he fixed somehting at the exchange. The speed was back up to 10mbps+ but only for couple of days. Every 3 months i have to ring optus they send a tech to my place he fixes at the exchange and its fine for the next 3 months.  Why cant they fix it permanently. This time the Rajeev tech support said i am not sending anyone. I was like hey i am willing to pay callout fee its not your problem cuz i am sure my internal wiring is fine.  But he refuses and says get it checked privately. I dont want to pay 200 bucks to someone just to say its fine.  

This guy was just hopeless i am surprised that there is no way i can get this sorted other than changing the ISP.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That is a very unusual exchange. 

Optus can only see from them to your modem. They are essentially responsible for the speeds between those two points. If the technician can see the speed  is slow (between those points)  then its only Optus that can arrange to fix it. That might involve getting Telstra in too. 

You're on ADSL I assume? Unfortunately there's no minimum standard for that connection so Optus aren't really required to correct the issue. Hopefully the NBN will arrive in your area soon.

I would recommend calling back as a different service agent would likely have a different response to your request.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

I called again and A different agent answered and checked the line remotely and Sent a technician. Technician came today and advised there was no problem with the internal wiring he did find a fault in mdf box fixed it and now the speed is 11mbps. I think the earlier tech support guy is in the wrong job to talk to a customer in such a rude manner is absolutely ridiculous. He totally denied fixing the internet. The only option i got was to contact private electrician and have the internal wiring fixed which was clearly not the problem.  

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sometimes you luck out. Sometimes they're just in a bad mood and you get a poor outcome. 

I'm glad the followupwas not only better but also fixed the problem. Thanks for letting us know the good and bad experience.

Peter Gillespie