Searching...
Accepted Solution

TP-Link CR700 compatibility to Optus Network

DangerousD

A mate recently returned from the states and gifted me a Wireless Cable Router.  Its a TP-Link CR-7000 (Dual Band DOCSIS 3.0) but before I get too excited will it be compatible with current internet (cable) and future-proof for NBN (who knows when).

Yes, I know its not going to be supporting by Optus as its BYO and not on their 'product list'  I imagine its not going to be a simple plug n play, but will i need to contact Optus so that they register the MAC Address to their network?

Thanks in advance for any insight and/or help

Re: TP-Link CR700 compatibility to Optus Network

Paddylee

As far as I was aware - you have to use the Optus supplied/approved device for their HFC/Cable service.

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/extras/Approved-Equipment-List

As for NBN - the unit is supplied by NBN - and no - you cannot use your own as you have to use the nbn provided equippment.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted

DangerousD

Thanks Paddylee. 

Yes I have the Optus supplied modem (Netgear wireless cable router) and looking to replace it with the afroementioned TP-Link CR700 (https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5514_Archer-CR700.html).  Quiet frankly the Netgear model has become unreliable.

Surely optus has the provision for BYO modems available for Cable as well.  Seems quiet draconian if they don't. 

It won't be an entire loss, I can still use the TP-Link in bridge mode (to improve wifi connectivity) but that's quite redundant as speed will still be trottled by the Optus supplied Netgear modem.

Paddylee

No "BYO" cable routers unless on that list.

Telstra also had the same limitations when I had their hfc. 

When nbn goes live on HFC you have to use their hfc device with no byo at all. 

Only option is to bridge it and use it for wifi only. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

DangerousD

Thansk again Paddylee,

Anyone know why or offer insight into why there's no BYO for cable?

Solution

Paddylee

Id say mainly support reasons (when I worked support at Telstra 14 years ago this was also their reason) 

And now that Optus sold off their HFC network to NBN and are closing it down 3 months after NBN go live they wont want to spend any time or resources implimenting changes. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
74 Kudos
53 Kudos
38 Kudos
24 Kudos