Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
absolutlegend
New Contributor
New Contributor

Switching to NBN - ethernet devices no longer working - F@st 3864AC

Hi,

I recently moved from Optus Cable to Optus FTTC NBN - Modem  F@st 3864AC

The transition was smooth and the wifi is working well with a few dropouts. 

I have a few devices that are plugged into the home internet with ethernet cables.  Foxtel, android media box and most importantly, a modem router in my daughter's bedroom which is out of the wifi range. 

None of the ethernet devices are working. They have to use wifi which is a bit weaker due to distance. My daughter currently has weak or no internet. 

These were all working perfectly prior to switching over to NBN.

Help!!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Switching to NBN - ethernet devices no longer working - F@st 3864AC

How recent is recent? If it was after late September last year you should have received the  5366TN not  the 3864AC.

The IP address of the 3864AC should be 192.168.0.1 (assuming you have not changed it from the default), this is your gateway IP address. So can you check that the devices you are trying to connect via ethernet have their gateway set to 192.168.0.1 and if they have an IP address assigned that it is 192.168.0.x. 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Confirm the Optus router has the DHCP server enabled. Your devices probably get their IP address from that.
0 Kudos
absolutlegend
New Contributor
New Contributor

sorry, yes it is the 5366TN.

For some reason, Optus records have me as having the 3846AC
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@absolutlegend wrote:
For some reason, Optus records have me as having the 3846AC

No surprise there. When I got a replacement right after the introduced it I was told I'd be getting the 3846 but I got the 5366.

0 Kudos
absolutlegend
New Contributor
New Contributor

Things deteriorated last night.

I tried updating the addresses on the Foxtel box manually. 

After I did that, I could no longer connect via wifi and the presence of the ethernet cable plugged in now causes the box to be non responsive to the remote. 

I eventually got the wifi connected via the 5GHz. The regular wifi cannot connect at all. 

I think I will stop meddling with that.

The priority really is the router in my daughter's bedroom. 

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I tried updating the addresses on the Foxtel box manually. 

After I did that, I could no longer connect via wifi and the presence of the ethernet cable plugged in now causes the box to be non responsive to the remote. 

That's actually a good sign because it would seem to indicate that the problem is indeed with IP allocation.

Its hard for me to help without knowing the IP addresses. So can you tell me the following (but don't change anything).

1) IP address of the 5366 (it should be 192.168.0.1).

2) The IP address address of the foxtel box before you changed/played with it (if you can remeber).

2a) The IP address of the foxtel box now.

3) The gateway IP address on the foxtel box before (if you can remember).

3a) The gateway IP address of the foxtel box now.

4) Was the foxtel box using DHCP or static IP addressed before.

4a) Is the foxtel box using DHCP or static IP address now.

5) The IP address of your daughters router.

6) The gateway IP address on your daughters router.

7) Is your daughters router using DHCP or static IP address.

I think I will stop meddling with that.

The priority really is the router in my daughter's bedroom. 

Its better to do the meddling with the foxtel box until you can understand the problem rather than messing with your daughters router.

Also, now that I know you have the 5366 and not the 3864 there is another possible cause of the problem. The 5366 typically ships with firmware v31 (SG4Y1T000031) which is known to have serious issues, mainly around loosing settings. The latest version can be obtained by rebooting the router through the maintenance menu, and is currently v105.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Confirm the Optus router has the DHCP server enabled. Your devices probably get their IP address from that.
0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

sounds like the IP address issue. If all fail then i recommend reset all and start from scratch.

1. Unplug all the ethernet cable
2. Factory reset the 5366 and the modem in bedroom. Change the Foxtel back auto (dhcp).
3. Connect only the 5366 to NBN, check wifi internet is working.
4. Connect the foxtel box via ethenet, check that is working.
5. Connect the bedroom modem. check that is work.
6. Connect other devices one at a time to see if anything that cause the IP conflict (usually with device that have manual or fixed IP assigned.).

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
7lHd
New Contributor
New Contributor

I’m not sure if this will work for everyone but I had this issue and was able to solve by plugging the ‘gateway’ cable from the NBN modem into one of the LAN ports of the Optus modem, wait a couple of minutes and swap the cable back, then switching the power off then on. Exact steps as follows:
1. Connect a computer (e.g. laptop) to Optus router via Ethernet cable
2. Open a web browser and navigate to its IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.1) - this page would not load for me yet
3. Unplug the ‘gateway’ cable that’s coming from the NBN modem from the red WAN port of the Optus Router, and place into one of the yellow LAN ports
4. Try to load the web page again at 192.168.0.1 - this started to work for me
5. If your Optus router has a backup 4G SIM card, you’ll see it switch over and you can try to load a web page e.g. Google
6. After 2 minutes, plug the gateway cable back into the WAN port and try the 192.168.0.1 page again
7. You may need to unplug the power from the Optus router for 60 seconds and reconnect

Hope that works for others.
Top Contributors