Searching...

Suspect payment demand

Shazzamatazz

Hi there - has anyone else received a dodgy demand for payment like the below?

It is definitely dodgy and I think Optus should be putting out a warning to users just in case it is ransomware related or something similar.

Capture.JPG

Re: Suspect payment demand

Yeldarb

It’s hard to tell where it came from without looking at the mail headers. If the link in the email actually takes you to optus.com then it could be genuine. Either way I would be checking via the live chat link below as it’s never wise to follow an email link unless you understand the difference between a genuine url and a fake one.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

Shazzamatazz

Hi Yeldarb,

this is definitely a suspect email.

1. Just the subject line alone rang alarm bells - Optus don't process my bills - I pay them online.

2. The wording "Payment of this account is past account issue date" doesn't make sense.

It should read "is past the due date".

In any event, my bill isn't overdue at all. It isn't due for a while yet.

Also, when hovering my mouse over the link it shows up as seen at the bottom of the below screen snip:

Capture01.JPG

This doesn't look like an optus web address.

Yeldarb

Well my friend you have answered your own question. Cheers. Smiley Happy

Esther

Morning! Definitely a hoax email - please forward to abuse@optusnet.com.au so we can investigate this further. Many thanks

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
68 Kudos
52 Kudos
41 Kudos
26 Kudos