cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor Etb
New Contributor

Super-slow cable speeds at night

Our cable broadband speeds are ridiculously slow & have been every night for over 6 months. I’m on the 100mbps pack but every single night the speed drops to 6mbps or 9mbps (even the day is around 50).

it makes it impossible to use - we work online & cant even connect via our VPN.

after many calls & technician visits they just tell me there’s nothing that can be done but it’s just due to congestion. The nbn isn’t here yet so that’s not an option.  How can they just say it can’t be fixed? It’s not acceptable to charge these amounts and not deliver! Suggestions?

Tags (3)
6 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Super-slow cable speeds at night

Optus have been overselling there cable network (more people, moe data, more content). With it due to be dismantled sometime soon its also likely that any non essential repairs and upgrades are also not a high priority. What you describe does sound like congestion. 

Optus are required to provide the speeds they are selling you (30Mbps or 100Mbps in the case of Optus Cable). You should be able to at least switch down to the 30Mbps price point but still get the 100Mbps speed pack. You might also opt to leave - is Telstra cable available in your area?

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Etb
New Contributor

I got the 100mbps upgrade for “free” but at $85/month I feel I should be able to get decent speeds.  I live in metro SYDNEY so I’m so everyone is available...but I don’t want to change if I’m just going to have the same congestion issues. The Telstra forums seem to be filled with the same complaint.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you are getting the agreed 30Mbps minimum then. Hard to argue you should get more IMO. There are ADSL2 customers paying $70 a month for speeds a tenth of what you get now.

FWIW Telstra cable should be in better nick as the NBN is using (and upgrading) it for ongoing use. Their cable does 5Mbps upload for example. When are you due to get the NBN and what technology will you be getting? You could try a casual connection and compare both and keep the one you like. Telstra charge $240 upfront for month to month plans.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Etb
New Contributor

Sorry I’m confused, when you say I’m getting the minimum 30mbps I’m paying for are you meaning that night speeds of 6-9mbps should be acceptable?

thanks for the tip on Telstra 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Etb
New Contributor

Oh and nbn expected in November using Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Nope. I'm the one confused. Yeah you should be getting better than that.

You will need a Telstra lead in for your NBN cable regardless so getting one now would mean switching to the NBN in November would only require a quick call to any RSP.

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors