cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Super high ping. Unplayable lag.

Sorry to hear of the hassles this has caused ermff 😞 I'll be more than happy to double check the scheduled upgrades for you if you could please private message me your Optusnet email address. Thank you.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor critch_
New Contributor

I've been having the same problem for about 2/3 months now and im absolutely sick and tired of not being able to reach the full potential of my internet.

I was previously with Westnet and i had absolutely no difficulties; now ever since we transfered to optus
its almost impossible to play any sort of game with this "unlimited bundle". I've called up at least 12 times and everytime i get the "do a speedtest" response or "try resetting your modem", I consitently tell them (optus representatives) that it's their end and they always blame it on either my area, distance from my modem (i'm running a cable from the modem into my PC and my xbox is connected via wireless; my computers connection is slighty stronger, if not the same.) or another individual is downloading a large file. It does not matter what i do to alter the settings to my benefit, my internet will still experience extreme packet loss.

this needs to be fixed ASAP.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Hey critch_, is this only happening in the evening? Are other times ok? If you were provided with a fault reference number and we can take a deeper look into this for you.

0 Kudos
New Contributor critch_
New Contributor

Doesn't matter what time of the day it is, it occurs almost every hour. I don't have a reference number as of right now because i havent bothered to call up and have the same thing told to me.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Ah, I see critch_, If you could private message me your details we'll be able to dig deeper and see what's going on here.

0 Kudos
New Contributor deel123
New Contributor

I have the same issues,
And everytime you ring, you just hear the same answers over and over,
Its been almost a year now, and the problem still hasn't been fixed.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 29972 kbps (3746.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 93 kbps (11.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 14 ms
Jitter: 29 ms
11/9/2015, 10:15:22 PM

Don't get me wrong, the download speed is there, but the rest is just garbarge.

Absolute rubbish result. As my brother still receives over 500+ ping, when playing his game. which is unplayable.

New Contributor RickC137
New Contributor

I've been with Optus for close to 2 years now on the "Unlimited" Cable, advertised to be 100Mbit/s, but some news article suggest that Optus has secretly reduced this to one third of that - 30Mbit/s. Nevertheless, been using this "Unlimited" plan for close to 2 years, NEVER once have I got anywhere close to 30Mbit/s combined Download speed&Upload speed (Most of the time its way less than 4Mbit/s - amounting to only 500kB/s download speed!! and don't get me started on the amount of time it takes to load google.com!! AND yes, Optus I have turned it off for 30seconds and turn it back on at least a million times)

I have to say that all online games that I play (Dota/Lol/Mmorpg) or live stream have been done using my mobile data on telstra 4G. Basically everytime I have to rely on instant/reliable/high speeed internet, Optus cable disappoints. 

Now, this is not a remote problem, it has actually been referred to the Telecomm Ombudsman where Optus have been identified to have mislead customers on "Unlimited" Cable/ADSL/NBN likewise. YES, Optus sells "Unlimited" plans but really, its no better than having a 1GB/month plan and using it all up in one day then having to live out the dial-up speeds for the rest of the month.

Truth is Optus has a backdoor - "FairGo Policy" does not fully disclose how much data customers are allowed to use before they throttle down your internet speed. But in my case, I'm the only person using the internet, and most of my usage only go towards watching videos on Youtube after work.

I've done some research online about the misleading definition of "Unlimited" Internet and turns out, bloody cheapo TPG and AAPT are probably the only ISP that truly upholds their principal and not having to rely on dirty little tricks that Optus uses.

One word of advice for customers stuck with the same issue, before you go with any "Unlimited" plans, really check how much data you need per month, Telstra offers 500GB plan for $80/month or 1TB for $100/month. I'm paying $80/mth for this abomination and had to get an extra 8GB of mobile data which cost me $50/mth just to play games with reliable internet.

If I had the choice to switch right now, I would've chucked the modem right into the bin where it truly belongs.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Hey @RickC137, not too sure where the info that speeds have been reduced from 100mbps to 30mbps has come from, however this is incorrect. Customers who are on a 100mbps plan will have access to these speeds, however the speeds available to customers vary depending on factors such as the load on the network at the time and their own setup. In terms of the Fair Go policy, it's something that applies in extreme circumstances, however I've personally never seen a customer restricted due to this. If you're using the service for non-commercial purposes, there should be no issue. Happy to answer any other questions you had for us or help out in any way we can. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor fixmyping
New Contributor

I have nearly the exact same problem both with connection and customer support.
im very curious to find out what is causing this and how Optus intends to resolve it, have had this plan for nearly 12 months and it worked fine for the first 3 month. At this im wondering if i can get a refund on this "Speed bost" option ive been pay ing for, ive sure as hell never downloaded anything at close to 30mbpsPing.png

0 Kudos
New Contributor Jackdinn
New Contributor

To get the full picture you need to go to       http://www.gmwsoftware.co.uk   and download   JD"s Auto speed tester.

Optus are advertising  30 Mbs accounts for Cable users. Speed testing for 1 week has top speed of 23.7 Mbs with suitable pings at 15 ms and below usually.

However the pings do go to 118 ms and frequently to  21 / 34 / 46 ms. These pings are present mostly between 7pm and midnight, when the  download is anthing from 1.2 Mbs to 9.5 Mbs. They can last for 20 / 40 60 / 120 or more minutes. At 118 ms you have no service. A far cry from the advertised download and speed.

The huge download drop is possibly Fetch downloads, and not enough Bandwidth on the Exchange side, and seemingly they add more people all the time. Not all Nodes are affected, only those with high population concentrations. Burwood Sydney is an example, the influx of people in extreem, and the Bandwidth has not changed at all. Terrey Hills is small and there is no growth there, Bandwidth is still the same, poulation is not increasing, Download speeds are there-for quite fine.

Optus have ignored the population growth, the bad pings, the bad downloads and of course try to talk to them about it if you can get them, and they ignore you.

For two months now Ive had virtually no service, 30 minutes maximum, to then bind up to no access anywhere, or no access straight away. I was told repeatedly that I had a fault, till just reciently I downloaded the Speed tester to show the low downloads, high pings. 

0 Kudos