Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
ianinwindsor
New Contributor
New Contributor

Sudden drop in speeds after changing plan

Hello YesCrowd,

I have an issue with a sudden reduction in speed after changing to a new cable broadband plan (but with same plan specifications/promises as my old plan).

I was on the 'My Entertainment Plus' (with speed boost) cable broadband plan for 2.5 years. All very good. No dropouts. Consistent 75+ Mbps download speeds....often 90+ Mbps in quieter periods. I couldn't fault it.

I was out of contract so I had a look on Optus' website to see what new prices they were offering. The prices had dropped, so about a week or so ago I changed to the $99 Bundle (with speed boost) on month-to-month basis. We don't have NBN at our place yet, but it'll be 'NBN ready' in a couple of months.

Anyway, since changing to the new cable broadband plan a couple of weeks ago (the new plan has the exact same specs and offerings as the old plan, just cheaper), the speeds i've been getting are consistently very low....always less than 50 Mbps. Mostly less than 35 Mbps. I initially thought Optus had somehow failed to activate the speedboost, so I contacted them and, sure enough, it hadn't been been activated. After factory reseting the modem the speeds hadn't improved (over the next day or so), so I contacted Optus again. They now wanted to send a technician to my home.

Optus sent a technician (contractor) out to my house early this morning to confirm there were no hardware issues (which there weren't, of course). While he was here the technician spoke to Optus and the Optus person confirmed the speedboost wasn't activated. So, i called Optus and, whilst on hold, they reactivated my speedboost. I've since factory reset the modem a few times and the speeds haven't changed (~20-25 Mbps down and about 1.2 up).  Normally (on my previous plan) i'd be getting at least 65 down at this time of day.

So, Optus assure me the speedboost has definately been activated, but speeds are still consistently well down on what I was getting on the old plan.

Basically, it seems i'm paying for a speedboost that i'm not getting......yet I was getting it consistently until I changed to the new plan. I've made absolutely no changes to my PC/network/software/system since changing plans (apart from resetting the modem).

Is this massive speed reduction a known issue with changing to the newer cable broadband plan?

Has anybody else had this problem?

I've tried explaining all of this to a couple of Optus 'chat' and phone people but they keep telling me it's just 'network traffic'. I'm not buying it! It's all a bit too co-incidental given the timing of changing from one cable broadband plan to another.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Ian.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Sudden drop in speeds after changing plan

Almost certainly the speed boost hasn't been activated. 

Take what sales staff say with a grain of salt as if their systems are telling them one thing and your experience is showing another then they're liable to make up stuff to finish off the call. 

Something is probably stuck in the back end and you'll need to keep pestering them until someone manages to kick it free. The technician from this morning would have confirmed (as he did) that the line was being slowed to 50Mbps. It may all come good tonight / tomorrow (keep resetting the modem every now and again) but otherwise explain speed boost is not active (despite what their system is telling them) if needs be request another technician to come out to confirm again.  

Peter Gillespie

ianinwindsor
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Sudden drop in speeds after changing plan

Thanks Peter.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of days.

Tomorrow morning i'm up at 4am.....and it's always fast at that time.....i'll see what it's like then.

Regards,

Ian.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors