cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Cheska
New Contributor

Streaming Netflix

I’ve been streaming Netflix to my tv using my personal hotspot for 8 months and not been charged for data(free streaming). After recontracting Optus started charging for the data. I contacted them and was informed that using the hotspot is like downloading. Even though I explained that this had not happened for the previous 8 months, with no extra data use for streaming. This is besides the hour plus on the phone trying to sort it out, which they couldn’t. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to explain it to Optus?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Streaming Netflix

>>After recontracting Optus started charging for the data.

Obviously the free data has been clicked out on your new plan. You could check if it's turned on in your account under entertainment, or in the app.

They will be deaf to any claim you make which is not done directly on a tablet or phone. You must make a case that this mode is not working.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Stan/td-p/486670

BTW, this other person said his STAN had suddenly stopped working, but it wasn't on a plan change

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Zac_D

Hi @Cheska, thanks for reaching out to us on YC. 

I do apologise for the run around you've had with us trying to get a proper answer, however we don't support tethering to other devices for 0 rated Mobile TV Streaming. If this has previously worked for you, I can't confirm why that was the case.

As per our t's and c's

"The Mobile TV Streaming option is available on a month to month basis & does not form part of your plan.  Charges may apply depending upon the plan you choose.  Optus may change or withdraw a streaming partner at any time with prior notice.  Offline video downloads, mobile & mobile broadband WiFi hotspots, streaming on TVs (such as Chromecast & Apple TV and the like), associated traffic other such as ads, authentication, app analytics and Digital Rights Management are excluded and will incur data charges. Streaming services may not have apps available on all mobile operating systems. Not suitable for HD quality video. Suitable for one stream per service on mobile & tablet devices only."

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It streams to TV ok, because Optus aren't actually trying to stop people doing it. It works more often than not. However, Optus are unable to explain why it would stop working, or not work in certain situations. There have been guesses that some DNS configurations muck up the Optus access to Netflix.

The optus interface is on c005.syd002.optus.isp.nflxvideo.net

opt.jpg

0 Kudos
New Contributor Cheska
New Contributor

This still doesn’t explain why no data was used for Netflix streaming in the twelve months prior to recontract. The only difference is that in my current contract it does not have Netflix as an ‘add on’, which it should. Makes it hard to keep up the loyalty

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

A lot of the new plans have TV as $5 extra. So far you havent mentioned what plan you are on, or what it says in your entertainment section.

0 Kudos
New Contributor AniaW
New Contributor

Yes, same problem here without the recontracting bit. I was told numerous times before, hotspotting was fine, and their terms and conditions only read larger screens like TV. I've been on the same plan with the same behavior for about 20 months and all of a sudden this month my data has gone absolutely crazy. The supervisor last week even confirmed hotspotting to iPad and comupter was fine, now all of a sudden I am told it is not. I am beyond pissed, especially since I asked for this specific thing before contacting as well as after.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Their terms have always said hotspotting is not OK. The terms actually say you are supposed to use their stupid apps on the primary SIM device. However, in order to debug your service, you have to use it on your primary SIM device. You could recontract to get it again.

Our Fair Go Policy’s purpose is to ensure all our customers can
access our services, and don’t use our services in a manner we
consider ‘unreasonable’ or ‘unacceptable’, including, but not
limited to ‘non-ordinary’ or ‘commercial purpose use’ of this
plan. It also sets out your responsibilities when you use the
internet and confirms steps we may take to monitor and
ensure compliance with this policy. For more information
see
optus.com.au/fairgo

Movies & TV Streaming without using your plans data (Selected Postpaid Mobile and Mobile Broadband plans, introduced August 2016)

• This streaming service is for your single usage of video streaming through the included mobile video service apps only (as at May 2018: Netflix, Stan, ABC Kids iVew ABC iView: Netflix and Presto). Tethering is not permitted.
  • For technical reasons downloads, mobile and mobile broadband WiFi hotspots, streaming or casting on TVs (such as through Chromecast and Apple TV), and other data such as DRM pings, advertisements, authentication and app analytics are excluded and will incur data charges.
  • The delivery of this service will not exceed 1.536 Mbps. This includes if you choose to download any video. This throughput speed is designed to allow a single user to stream in SD quality on mobile and tablet devices only through the included mobile video service apps. It is not suitable for HD quality video, or viewing through TVs or big screens.
Optus-supplied 4G compatible devices will receive the optimal experience with this service. Check your device to see if it is Optus 4G compatible

0 Kudos