Searching...
shed_man

Why is it that I feel I am NOT getting the full potential speed out of my cable broadband?     It has been run down and I feel as it is almost ADSL speeds, NOT ADSL 2 but ADSL 1?Smiley Mad

IS OPTUSNET purposely running it down  and people are getting usede to it to justify it later when NBN comes in and says, gee LOOK at these speeds?    Smiley Surprised

Spoiler
Spoiler

Re: Speed

Dan_C

Hey @shedman, thanks for getting in touch. We're definitely not throttling your speeds intentionally. It might simply come down to the number of customers we have connected to your local cable node - that means more bandwidth that must be shared amongst a large number of customers. Have you raised this with our fault team in the past → 131344? If so, were they able to offer up an explanation. We can always run a couple of basic diagnostics from our end. We'd just need you to send through a private message with your full name, DOB and service address. We'll see what's going on. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

shed_man

YOU posted this ---------> Hey @shedman, thanks for getting in touch. We're definitely not throttling your speeds intentionally....Intentionally is the key...HONESTLY I had faster speeds on dial-up years ago at times.....Look I know what congestion is and what other factors play into the speeds we get, I get it.....I also realise and THAT IS THE MAIN REASON I am not spewing the sewer out...Infrustructure up-grades is not an easy nor quick process BUT at least convey and tell your customers what is happening and why and what expected delays could be and "OFFER" them some relief from full price till YOUR network is up and running to what you previously had in standards?    Yes, you may loose  some "profits" but isnt retention of loyal customers the long term achievable goal?

garbageoptusnet

@Dan_C . I find that hard to believe there is no speed throttling. Why exactly are Optus offering ONLY 'unlimited' cable data plans when it is quite clear there are cable nodes that don't have the adequate infastructure to handle the number of customers. Upgrades aren't being scheduled to fix these issues either and I am not an isolated case. Optus isn't exactly helping its existing cable network with its marketing push of EPL streaming , $700 credit sign and netflix that service degredation has only gotten worse the past year...

Is it that hard to charge a price for quota plan to get a cable internet service that will work???

nbn

Hi @shed_man,

How long have you had your Optus Cable Broadband service for? There are a number of reasons why Cable can appear to be slower than usual:

1. The modem - if you have the Netgear CG3000v2 Modem, then you are using the currently-supplied modem, and that would not be the issue here;
  2. The infrastructure - Calling Optus Cable Technical Support on 1300 300 693 can link you in with an Optus Technician who can run line tests (i.e., have a better idea of where the potential fault lies - from experience, this is usually from the distribution box to the premises);
  3. The congestion - As more people are accessing the same cable network, this will undoubtedly cause congestion. The best way to emperically determine if there are issues is to conduct Speed Tests during peak hour (usually 1900hrs local time) and off-peak (usually early-morning, about 0400-0500hrs local time) - these tests can be done by searching for "speed test" on your preferred search engine;
  4. Your plan - newer plans have increased the maximum downstream speed to 30mbps; that said, you can always purchase a Speed Boost Pack that can bring the maximum downstream speed up to 100mbps.

All the best!

-Terry.

Did this post help? Feel free to give a +Kudos!
Did this post solve your query? Feel free to mark this as the
Accepted Solution!

[ Edited ]
shed_man

How long have you had your Optus Cable Broadband service for?  For over 10years or more cant really remember how long it is now?

There are a number of reasons why Cablecan appear to be slower than usual:

The modem - if you have the Netgear CG3000v2 Modem, then you are using the currently-supplied modem, and that would not be the issue here;  IF not Netgear CG3000v2 Modem [ as I had 3 so far ] then what would it be? Heavens forbid  modems and firmware along with over congested nodes and exchanges?

1. The infrastructure - Calling Optus Cable Technical Support on 1300 300 693 can link you in with an Optus Technician who can run line tests (i.e., have a better idea of where the potential fault lies - from experience, this is usually from the distribution box to the premises); Umm No! because I have had it replaced 3 times?
  2. The congestion - As more people are accessing the same cable network, this will undoubtedly cause congestion. The best way to emperically determine if there are issues is to conduct Speed Tests during peak hour (usually 1900hrs local time) and off-peak (usually early-morning, about 0400-0500hrs local time) - these tests can be done by searching for "speed test" on your preferred search engine;  GUESS what Enisteine, {not being rude here} like most people I use it at peak times, this is WHY I UP_GRADED to full speed and unlimited data because we were travelling so slow even on WiFi I upgraded to $115:00 per month to escape all this?      Oh! ps  Your speed test? Really a packet?  Try uploading  a picture too, see if it times out, as MINE did ONLY last week to my insurance company, I HAD to send it by email, so they could recieve it?
  3. Your plan - newer plans have increased the maximum downstream speed to 30mbps; that said, you can always purchase a Speed Boost Pack that can bring the maximum downstream speed up to 100mbps.   YOU see the point is, I up-graded last time to get what your offering, well at least now a"newer" plan for an extra FEE?   HOW about compensating us for what we are not receiving, now?
Highlighted

Meg

Hey Shed_man,

I can see you've reached out to us a few times here in relation to issues with your service. We would need to have a current or recent fault reference number to be able to look into your complaint. If you can't remember when you last spoke with our Techs, but it was within the last few weeks just send us a Private Message with your account name, phone number or username and date of birth for privacy. If it has been longer than few weeks please contact our Techs first to raise a complaint and then send us through the Private Message so we can follow-up.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
80 Kudos
77 Kudos
71 Kudos
40 Kudos
30 Kudos