Searching...

Speed Slower than my Grandmother

Way2Slow

I've been with Optus for apx 8 years & have been recently told by one of their tech support people to "look at another provider because we have too many customers on the network causing slow speeds for you". What the heck sort of a solution is this? I am just about fed up with slow speeds, drop outs, 9 hours to download a movie from Movie Box etc etc etc.

I have the Entertainment Bundle and it doesn't provide much entertainment at all. I can't use another device & watch a movie or "entertainment" channel. I even bought a new modem hoping that was the issue but that was just another wasted $100. My fuse is short & I don't know how long it will be until I jump ship & head elsewhere. They don't have a problem taking my money but don't provide what they promise. I am so very disappointed.

Not a great way to hold on to a long term customer Optus!!

Anyone know of a tweak to fix this issue or should I just sign up with another provider?

Re: Speed Slower than my Grandmother

tommy_1959

Way2Slow,

What you were told (basically to b__r off and go with a different provider) is what I was told by a tech (very politely) on Tuesday night.  I normally have a speed of 100Mbps on the PC tethered to the modem and about 30Mps on WiFi devices but since Sunday last my speeds during the hours of 6pm to midnight regularly drop down to 3Mpbs at worse and 9Mbps at best.  I've rung tech support...even spoken to a supervisor.  Lots of platitudes...even a refund of forty bucks off my next bill BUT no real answers and a real "like it or lump it" attitude.  I told the supervisor;

"What's the point of paying for high speed cable when I'm getting worse that ADSL1 speeds during evenings?"  Her answer was, "I share your frustration...we'll look into this...blah, blah, blah"  NO ONE will give me a straight answer as to whether or not equipment upgrades are causing the problem...no one at the tech centre will committ to any explanation, full stop!

It stinks!  If this was a consumer item or a car you'd be getting a full refund and the manufacturer would be in deep trouble with the government Consumer Affairs people!

Heck...I emailed my complaint more that 40 hours ago...no reply and no number to forward to the TIO.  I even rang Telstra to ask them about current speeds on cable in my street.  The answer:  "Better than 100Mbps with no outages or congestion slow downs".  Looks like I will be jumping ship to Telstra.

I am appalled, Optus...simply appalled!

SamSam

I agree they should be more thorough in their explanations to you. Unfortunately the advice they've given you whilst it might seem like a fob off, is at least the truth.

If they're telling you to go elsewhere it essentially means the network in your area is congested. Essentially the people in your area are using to much data for the link to handle hence the slowing down of speeds.

This could be by them overselling but I'd say it's more likely due to an increase in usage of existing customers, or a combination of both.

Fixing a congestion issue isn't easy and unfortunately, it's not just your area. Depending on the solution they choose to take, there's a number of things they need to do before you see any change including: identifying the best solution, ordering the necessary parts for the solution, planning to have the necesarry man power to carry out the work (remembering there's loads of other upgrades going on so you start at the back of the queue) and hoping there's no major issues that pull resources away from these upgrade which in turn pushes the finish date back.

So basically, with the above in mind, whilst I would hate being told "sorry but you'd be better of looking elsewhere", it's the best advice they can give. I'd rather that than "oh it'll be fixed next month" only to be told the same thing every month until I finally crack. It sucks, but I'd talk to your neighbours about who they use and their experieces.

Good luck!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

tommy_1959

Thanks Sam Sam...I am in the process of checking Telstra cable neighbour's speeds and have rung Telstra technical department and asked them to check the local node speeds.  No congestion...100Mbps full speed all day every day.  So if I confirm that Optus is going to lose a customer for phone/internet plus my mobile phone.  I won't EVER deal with them again...mainly as the result of the techs giving me what some might consider as the run-around.

tommy_1959

SamSam...I was contacted this evening by Optus customer service.  Very nice man but still the same platitudes.  Also, he confirmed that no further maintenance or upgrade is happening on my node so customers can basically like it or lump it.

Quite frankly I think the TIO should haul Optus over the coals for this.  They are still selling "premium" cable in this area when even ADSL1 is getting better speeds in the evening.  Like I said to the service agent....

"It's like paying to lease a Mercedes only to find that someone slips a Model T Ford motor into it between the hours of 3pm and 1am!"

I was offered a lower price on my net service but, as I explained to the rep, that's not really what I want.  I want my speeds restored.  I want what I have paid for, full stop!

SamSam

Mmmm seems like off to Telstra then if your neighbours confirmed it was good.

At the very least, it's an honest answer. I get what you mean obviously you'd like the service you have now to work rather than have to switch and follow up etc but at the end of the day you know now so you can make an informed decision.

Just a shame is all!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

tommy_1959

SamSam...thanks for your understanding.  Yep, Telstra customers in the street confirm that even during the times you'd expect congestion in the evening they are getting around 92 to 100Mbps...no problem.

I must say that my constant complaints must be getting somewhere as for the last two nights speeds have dropped but have always stayed in the high teens to around 22Mbps on Wifi.  I spoke to someone in the Adelaide Optus Customer Complaints Centre on Friday last who'd obviously read my letter of complaint.  He was a nice chap...very understanding and all but he could not guarantee a fix.  He did, however, vow to send a tech to the exchange to check what was going on...perhaps this actually happened...I don't know.  If the speeds improve I will stay with Optus due to the hassle of switching over, however, if things decline again it's off to Telstra I will go.

SamSam

22mbps is not 100mbps but definitely useable. You could easily have multiple devices connected with a couple streaming and still be fine I'd say so I get what you mean about staying. Plus I don't know what plan you're on but I'm assuming Optus is cheaper then Telstra as well right?

Hopefully they stay this way or continue to improve. I just find it odd they would say there's no upgrades and then upgrade anyway. Basically shooting themselves in the foot. The alternative is a number of users on your node jumped ship which would alleviate the pressure on the remaining users. If that's the case hopefully they have learnt their lesson and don't continue to sell in your area and bring it back to where you were.

Good luck Tommy, you certainly sound like a fair and reasonable customer so hopefully you're treated as such!

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
tommy_1959

Thans SamSam,

I have now been contacted by another "higher up" complaints person from Adelaide.  He confirms no further network upgrades to the network in this area (33EB022) as NBN "will be there at the end of the year or late this year".  He has promised to send a tech to the exchange to check things out.  In the meantime things have been marginally better in the evening periods.  The complaints guy also halved my bill for the next four months and swapped me to a more modern plan (mine was out of the ark) with a lower bulk spend with "speed pack" intact.  So I will wait and see what transpires before I jump ship as Telstra are more expensive.

Thanks again for your replies.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
74 Kudos
53 Kudos
38 Kudos
24 Kudos