Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Lisad
New Contributor

Smart TV use with a mobile broadband modem

Hi all,

I am doing some research into the best internet option for us. 

We live in a remote rural area, currently have adsl but its performance is woefull at best. 

Nbn will only be on sattelite and this is painfully bad for so many of our friends.

I am thinking the mobile broadband option could be a goer as we have good mobile phone service where we live.

Now the issue is that hubby has now got a taste for Netflix and the like as a free data option with our current provider on our LG OLED Smart TV.

I have read and spoken to a couple of Optus representatives and have had different opinions on the question

"Can I use my data free TV option with the $70 My Mobile Broadband Plus 100GB  using the 

• 4G LTE Cat 6 Modem/Router supplied by Optus?

Can I connect my smart tv to the above modem and use it as I have been with my current adsl?

Hope theres a concensis out there before I go batty!

Cheers

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Smart TV use with a mobile broadband modem

You can definitely connect the modem and the TV.

The Mobile TV FAQ is here (Which mobile and mobile broadband plans are eligible?)

It appears the service is directed at smaller tablets and mobiles (would your hubby be happy watching on a tablet?)

Data free Mobile TV streaming is not suitable for streaming to a bigger screen using services such as Chromecast or Apple AirPlay. If you do tether or stream to a bigger screen, it may use your included data.

Suitable for one stream per service on mobile & tablet devices only.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Lisad
New Contributor

Thanks,

Its 2842.

I assumed it would connect wirelessly but I am not sure if the free data inclusions will apply & if in fact that there is free data inclusions on this modem/plan.

Have had two differing opinions from Optus reps on this!

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Details updated in post above. 

I'm leaning towards not an option for you unfortunately (at least not on the big screen).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Lisad
New Contributor

Thanks Peter,

I was afraid of that!

Will have to look further into this then.

Cheers

Lisa

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Others may have a different tale.

FWIW I would probably still try Sky Muster. I see plans around 100Gb for $100 that could possibly handle most of your Netflix requirements. The plans seem to be month to month so you can cancel if its no good? Also no excess data charges is good.

Might have to go forced SD though.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos