Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
TickaTacka
New Contributor
New Contributor

Slow upload speed 4g home wireless

Screenshot_20210301-213221.png

Hello,

I'm recording a good download speed on Optus 4g home wireless internet of 38.6 Mbps, but a very slow upload speed of 0.19 Mbps. This makes video conferencing impossible with working from home and it's causing frequent dropouts.

What can be done to fix this? I've noticed much worse congestion and slow speeds in my area recently.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jono_YC

Re: Slow upload speed 4g home wireless

Hi @TickaTacka thanks for reaching out. Speeds are variable on the Optus 4G mobile network and will depend on a number of factors including congestion, location, local conditions, hardware, software and general internet traffic. However, we're constantly investing and upgrading our network to deliver better service and speeds to our customers.

We recommend keeping across our Network Status page, which provides up-to-date faults and works that may be impacting your service. You can also register for updates by clicking on the respective mobile tower, and then selecting “Log a fault”.

We also have a range of troubleshooting steps that may help with mobile faults.

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. Our team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

We're also available to assist via Social Media. Please send us a private message to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@TickaTackaLooks like the B525 is using a band or bands that do not have allot of upload bandwidth.

This is a known problem when using any 4G modem with any network and is NOT a fault.

I suggest have a read of the post I did in the following thread, but in your case the the upload is slow.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Huawei-B818-263-slow-speeds/m-p/641155

BTW I my B818 setup the fastest I have seen upload go to was between 20 and 30 MBps, but averages around the 12MBps. If the optus tower is not playing up.

0 Kudos
Lauramayb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I had a similar issue (both downloads and uploads were slow) on my b818 that was largely resolved by changing the modem settings as recommended by this contributor:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/4G-modem-terribly-slow-but-phone-4G-is-good/m-p...

Hope that helps,

AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@LauramaybBe aware that just setting the B818 menu item to "4G 2300mhz only" locks you into B40 only and is the band with the biggest download bandwidth, but it sucks for upload. So be aware of this.

Lauramayb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ah, that’s good intel! Cheers 👍🏻