cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Conchita
New Contributor

Slow internet - getting slower each year

When I joined Optus Internet in 1997 it was about 10x faster than it is today.

What is going on??????????????????????????????????????

When I start to put in an address for an email I have to wait multiple seconds before it even decides to type the first letter.

I happens on all computers - new and old.

How do I get this info into a complain at at Optus?

Current results vary,

At 10+pm:

Ping / 59 ms

Download / 10.57 Mbps
Upload / 0.32 Mbps
 ---------
At 11:30pm
Ping / 34 ms
Download / 2.22 Mbps
Upload / 0.87 Mbps

My understading was I was on a plan that was closer to 50Mbps/10Mbps...   WHAT'S GOING ON AND WHO CAN I COMPALIN TO?
Tags (1)
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Slow internet - getting slower each year

Hi Conchita,

Have you done any diagnostics with Optus LiveChat? There are several reasons you might be getting slower speeds. But first up some questions.

1. Are you on the NBN?

2. Are you on Cable, ADSL, FTTN?

3. If you go to MYACCOUNT (top right of this page) you should be able to find what plan you are currently on? 

4. What are you using? (iPad? PC? Phone?

5. Are you testing on wifi or on a cable connected device?

6. Do you have a FetchTV?

7. What is the monthly amount you are paying for your internet plan?

8. What speedtest site are you using?

FWIW if you are experiencing slowdowns in entering text then this possibly points to an issue with you equipment rather than the internet. However that's yet to be determined.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Conchita
New Contributor

Now threatened disconnection Re: Slow internet - getting slower each year

Received call from Optus earlier today sying home phone & inet  will be disconnected withn 24 hrs, press 1 to talk totech and was then hung upo on.  Tried to call back but number will not connct.

Hiave spent many hours with Optus LiveChat, as soon as I mention wanting to know what plan I am on and that it is Optus featuring Foxtel,
I get transferred and then up on, apparently there are no hours in the day to ask these questions?

1. Are you on the NBN? NO - ALL USERS IN THIS AREA ARE LOSING PHONES AND INTERNET WHEN NBN IS INSTALLED.
I can not afford to do this because I am on dialysis and it puts me in a life situation.
I am also EMH sensitive and require all wireless devices disabled.
2. I am on Cable.
3. If you go to MYACCOUNT (top right of this page) you should be able to find what plan you are currently on?
4. I am using LAN PC's & Land Line Phones.
5. I have no wifi.
6. No FetchTV.
7. Have combined internet and home phone, about $90.
8 speedtest.net

Slowdowns do not occur in locations with good internet access. Home modem was changed a few years ago when I complained about the same issue and seemed to be "very slighly beter".

Regards,
Conchita

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Now threatened disconnection Re: Slow internet - getting slower each year

I can understand your concern at the NBN transition. There are various options that you will need to make time to explore. You should be able to keep a phone line up and running.

Be aware though that Optus only provide three months after the NBN goes live in your area before they will switch off their cable network. Usually it is 18 months but for Optus Cable 3 months.

Can you check your address in the NBN checker?  What postcode are you in? What NBN Type and date do you get?

Note that the NBN will mean you can select any RSP and get high speed internet.

It would be good to get the plan you are on and what internet speed it offers. I would suggest using Optus Live Chat as phone support is very fraught as you've found.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Conchita
New Contributor

It says I can not check my account...
The service entered is not eligible for My Account registration. Please check and try again.

I have asked and asked and can not get an answer to this.

NBN:
Planned availability: Oct-Dec 2018*.

Sorry it took so long, have had other urgent issues??

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Conchita,

It seems NBN is arriving in about 4 months. You should have another three months after that to sort options. You can also look into it now as preperation (Optus will switch you to the NBN on request but your extra issues may complicate things.)

Note that Optus does not provide guaranteed services to people with health issues that need the phone / internet. You may be best contacting Telstra as they do offer this service. Once the NBN arrives you are free to choose any ISP and get the same high speed broadband.

I'll flag @Toomey and @Dan_C as it would seem you have more pressing issues. I agree that it should not be so hard to just find out what plan you are on from Optus.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Moderator Kartika

Hi @Conchita, sorry to hear about your internet connection issue. With regards to speed it depends on various factors. I would suggest to try some → basic troubleshooting first and see how you go. Also do some → speed tests at different dates / time and take a screenshot of the results as a reference. If the issue continues then raise it with Tech Support → here to investigate further.

With regards to your online My Account issue we can definitely fix that here. Just PM us → here your email address, phone number / account number, full name and date of birth to proceed. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Xonzen
Occasional Contributor

Re: Slow internet - getting slower each year

I have the same problem. Here is my average Speed test results with very clear results.

I suggest you take your complaint to the TIO via https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

Optus Trendline 2019.png

0 Kudos
Top Contributors