cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Ekaj
Occasional Contributor

Slow home wifi

My wifi all of a sudden is ridiculously slow it's the first time it's been slow since i got it. It's so sluggish I basically can't use it I'v tried turning it off and back on and moving it but nothing has help it started getting slow when the nbn started getting put in my erea is that just a coincidence or is it the reason why?

Tags (3)
8 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Slow home wifi

Have you tried plugging directly into the modem to see if that makes a difference?

It's possible works in your street/area with the NBN have disrupted your service but it really shouldn't. You could have a faulty line now though in which case you'd want to call tech support to have it looked into.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I don't own a laptop so I can't plug directly into the modem. It's one of those wfi things with a simcard a Huawei e5186

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Also I did a live chat for a hour and try things like reseting it taking the sim out and back in but it's still slow

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Ahh I see. I assumed it was an ADSL service sorry. Given this type of service, it'd be very unlikely NBN has played any part in this. It could be increased load in your area or a problem with the modem itself or something completely different.

I would try going to a friend or families place that live a good distance away so that you're connecting to a new tower and trying it there and see how that goes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor DisgruntledGlb
Occasional Contributor

Hiw old is your router? the do have a habbit depending on brand to fry in the first 12 months which us usually within the warranty period pending specefuc brand requirements.if the capicitor is the issue the device will drop in and out, be fine for a bit after a power cycle...

But i am leaning towards ur service, do you have a mobile? What is the reception like on you phone? Who is the provider? Are u in a new housing area, new estates with mass people moving in, could be network congestion...

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

My phones reception is usually good and I'm still in the same house as I got it and it's only about a month old but the problem has seemed to have fixed itself overnight thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
New Contributor JAXTON57
New Contributor

My home wifi is very slow when uploading to the internet. Why on earth did they just allocate 2m for uploads? Downloading used to be good, now is becoming very annoying slow. I don't bother ringing Optus anymore bc they usually give the same technical advise.  - like turn your modern off and on, or that it depends where you live and how many others are on the internet in the neighborhood. I am thinking of buying a new router to replace the Optus supplied modem. Will I need Optus permission to use or replace their modem?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @JAXTON57, you won't be able to BYO modem for a Cable connection as we authenticate the connection via the MAC address, but feel free to connect up your own router to our modem if you wish to.

0 Kudos