Searching...

Slow emails being routed through Asia to USA

ozeannie

System:  2 Win 7 computers and 1 Win 10 computer running POP email on Outlook 2016.

We have a few Optus email accounts and they are working fine. However we have 3 business email acounts (1 on each computer) with a host email provider and all 3 are taking way too long to send & receive emails to the point where most of the time they time out.

All troubleshooting has been done to isolate the cause. It is happening on 3/3 computers and it just started all of a sudden yesterday morning. Prior to that it worked and no settings have been changed on the accounts, no new software installed. Have checked with firewall and AV disabled, have checked in Safe mode, have checked all account settings, etc etc. Can't see how it is computer-based as the Optus accounts are working. Have checked with mail host & the server is working fine at their end. Webmail works. They can send & receive from an email client (though I don't know if it is Outlook) and they are on a different ISP. Have checked DNS host as well and they report no issues. Had contact with Microsoft to sort out if it was a problem with Outlook just in case & they pinged the server & found it timed out, so not just a problem from my end.

Have seen the notice on the Optus service status page about lag and long ping times, latency problems with International servers in Asia. Did a tracert for both the server I can't connect to in good time, as well as for Optus.

Results:

Problem server:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\User>tracert secure.emailsrvr.com

Tracing route to secure.emailsrvr.com [173.203.187.10]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  READYSHARE [192.168.1.1]

2     9 ms     8 ms    13 ms  10.81.0.1

3     *        *        *     Request timed out.

4     *        *        *     Request timed out.

5     *        *        *     Request timed out.

6     *        *        *     Request timed out.

7    14 ms    15 ms    13 ms  198.142.250.253

8    26 ms    27 ms    21 ms  198.142.139.116

9    13 ms    13 ms    16 ms  198.142.139.132

10   199 ms   194 ms     *     ix-xe-10-2-1-40.tcore1.TV2-Tokyo.as6453.net [180

.87.180.69]

11   230 ms     *      195 ms  if-et-21-2.hcore1.KV8-Chiba.as6453.net [120.29.2

17.67]

12     *        *      257 ms  if-ae-17-2.tcore1.HK2-Hong-Kong.as6453.net [116.

0.67.61]

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

14   310 ms   306 ms     *     ae-13.r01.tkokhk01.hk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.

31]

15   260 ms     *        *     ae-3.r25.tkokhk01.hk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.2

22]

16     *      251 ms   250 ms  ae-7.r24.osakjp02.jp.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.4

2]

17   266 ms     *      257 ms  ae-2.r22.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.1

18]

18   305 ms   305 ms     *     ae-7.r23.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.6.2

38]

19     *      304 ms   313 ms  ae-20.r06.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.

133]

20   308 ms   309 ms   320 ms  ae-1.a01.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.1

88]

21   305 ms   307 ms   316 ms  ae-0.rackspace.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [157.2

38.64.26]

22     *        *        *     Request timed out.

23   315 ms   314 ms   317 ms  corea-dcpe2.iad3.rackspace.net [69.20.2.169]

24   313 ms   304 ms   305 ms  corea-core8.iad3.rackspace.net [69.20.2.99]

25     *      305 ms     *     aggr403a-3.iad3.rackspace.com [69.20.3.79]

26     *        *      312 ms  secure.emailsrvr.com [173.203.187.10]

Trace complete.

By comparison, tracing to Optus:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\User>tracert mail.optusnet.com.au

Tracing route to mail.optusnet.com.au [211.29.132.250]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  READYSHARE [192.168.1.1]

2    18 ms     8 ms    11 ms  10.81.0.1

3     *        *        *     Request timed out.

4     *        *        *     Request timed out.

5     *        *        *     Request timed out.

6    14 ms    10 ms    11 ms  210.49.108.50

7    12 ms    12 ms    11 ms  mail.optusnet.com.au [211.29.132.250]

Trace complete.

Can anyone from Optus give any enlightenment on anything that is being done to fix this problem and/or whether if there are problematic servers along the way whether it can be  re-routed (I believe the ISP has some control over route selection).

We rely on these emails to run our business and we rely on Optus to give us reliable internet connectivity, including access to emails.

Surely this must be affecting a lot of other people as well?

Re: Slow emails being routed through Asia to USA

Davelew

Hi

I don't think you can blame Optus for this one.   They are damaged undersea cables, near Hong Kong, caused by the recent typhoon.  Click on this link for more info:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/aussie-web-users-warned-to-expect-slow-speeds-for-at-least-...

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

ozeannie

Thanks for the info,

I realise Optus aren't to blame, I might have come across that way, but it was more acknowledging that if there is a known problem as stated on their website to know more about it and what if anything they can do and ETA of a fix. That article explains it so thanks but not a very good outlook having to wait until mid-October! Smiley Sad

Toomey

Hey @ozeannie, I've seen fault reports about the issue but think we are still waiting for and official statement from the networks team. Sorry for the delay, I'll let you know when I hear something.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

ozeannie

Thanks for that, please do let us know. I have come across a number of posts from users (mainly gamers) with the reverse problem - and this is back over a number of years, not just due to recent events. Along the lines of "Why is Optus routing to Asia through America?" - it seems that instead of routing directly to Asian sites, they are being slowed down by going through the US. This suggests to me that there must be a more direct route to the US... so why do we need to go through Asia to get there?

Two such examples:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2038621

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2502214

twenty205

I've been having this exact problem to the same email host Rackspace for a long time, many months, way before the damage that your link refers to occurred. I also have a Telstra mobile broadband account which does not present me with the same problem.

We can without any doubt blame Optus for the problem.

twenty205

Hi @Toomey as my previous states I'm having the exact same problem, and have been having it for a long time, it makes your service unusable, I know I'd really appreciate an official response explaining why our traffic is taking the slow boat to the US, looking forward to reading your response. Cheers.

ozeannie

Thanks so much for this information. The host here in Australia has said that they have a few other Optus customers affected the same way. I had thought of testing it on another carrier if I could get the chance, was thinking of gong to Maccas and trying there. The fact that you have no problems with Telstra sort of proves the point.

I have been going around in circles between : is it the network causing the issue or is it the computer. I have elimated everything I could on the computer, but still wondered whether the recent Office update did anything as it was the only thing that happened on all computers. I have been testing it this morning and I successfully sent an email with a couple of attachments and my signature graphic. I did try changing the account settings to use port 587 and thought that might have been the reason for the improvement, but then my husband who still has the default settings returned it to me successfully, so it had nothing to do with the settings. And yet I have at times not even be able to send a blank email with "test" in the subject and nothing else. This happened out of the blue and the success or otherwise of sending emails is not consistent, so I really think it is not a computer problem.

@ OPTUS - are you doing exhaustive spam checking on the emails which is causing the timeout? I realise this is necessary but there has to be a balancing point. Do you just have clunky connections to the US server? Is DNS working properly?

Is the NBN rollout interfering with the existing network?

Highlighted

twenty205

@ozeannieit's not you, it's them Smiley Happy

I have coworkers with the exact same issue on varying systems, I'm asking them to add their experience to this thread so we can have it solved, or at least get an answer.

Fingers crossed.

ozeannie

@ToomeyJust to re-iterate...

Extracts from  https://www.itnews.com.au/news/aussie-internet-pain-after-asian-subsea-cables-cut-472070

With regards to customers complaining about delays to Asian server sites:

Advisories by the TPG-owned iiNet and Internode report that the main issue for Australians is a cable break around 54 kilometres off the coast of Hong Kong.

“We have temporarily routed via the US and redirected peering whilst the issue is outstanding,” both ISPs reported.

ISPs say that while they are forced to route Asian traffic via the US, internet users should expect speed, latency and packet loss problems “to international destinations in Asia”.

Why then is Optus routing to the US through ASIA? Just take us directly there! The people from Rackspace have noted that a number of Optus users have the same issue that is not being seen with other ISPs.

We cannot run a business without email, so I will be investigating other ISP providers if not resolved soon.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
87 Kudos
80 Kudos
63 Kudos
36 Kudos
35 Kudos