Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Frustrated2
Contributor
Contributor

Slow download speed, dropouts

I am on FTTN NBN with an Optus 100Mbps speed plan.

Today, Sunday, I am getting a download speed of 4.52Mbps (upload is 37.09) by ethernet cable. I can't even register a speed with wifi. I am so frustrated! I pay for high speed because I need it.

Then there are the dropouts - even with ethernet cabling. Optus have already replaced my router once due to minutes-long dropouts, but assure me that 20 or so micro-dropouts a DAY is "normal". Micro-dropouts are not noticible if you are working on e.g. a document, but if you are downloading a document it fails to download properly and if you try and work using a VPN, it is constantly re-connecting. 

Is this an NBN problem, a problem with the modem or router (should I buy my own modem? If so, which one?) or a problem with the cabling from the node to my house?

ETA: Reading others' replies, it would appear that it is a congestion issue - so this is an Optus problem. Is there a better retailer? 

Or is the ombudsman the way to go? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Slow download speed, dropouts

FTTN is the most problematic of the NBN technologies (its really just ADSL2+ with the node a bit closer to the home)

If congestion is the issue then you will get great speeds off peak (i.e. 2pm or 2am for example) and much worse speeds on peak (7pm-11pm). Optus and most other Telcos did have self inflicted congestion issues until recently but hopefully most of that has cleared up a lot. 

Low download and high upload would suggest a NBN issue. You need to ask Optus to get a NBN tech to investigate (they represent you to the NBN). Its up to Optus customer service to sort it and you can decide for yourself if they do a good job.

I would check if the connection is more stable without the VPN as that may be causing its own problems.

Peter Gillespie

Frustrated2
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Slow download speed, dropouts

Thanks Peter, that makes sense. Yes, I mostly get good speeds - around 80+Mbps. I don't use the VPN all the time, only when I have to. Even when I am not using a VPN I find some downloads fail and I am not using the VPN when I do the speed test. It is now 6 pm, 3 hours after my original post and I am still only getting a download speed of 5Mbps.

I will follow it up with Optus. 

0 Kudos