Searching...

Slow cable connection speeds in Panania, Optus isn't being transparent

Mannilie

I have been having net problems with optus for the past two months now. I have done plenty of things to ensure that my end is fine and there are no connection problems at home.

Here is a list of things I have done on my end to ensure there are no issues:

• Flushed DNS
  • Restarted router (at least 5 times)
  • Hard-reset router
  • Changed ethernet cables
  • Changed router (temporarily)

Then I contacted a technician. The technician was very helpful... to a degree (to which is not their fault).

The technician was able to:

• Run diagnostics on my home connection
  • Change the external lead that connects from my street to my house
  • Change routers

Still no success. He even contacted my neighbours and it appears that they are experiencing the same issues as well. When I asked the technician why I am experiencing these issues he couldn't tell me for certain because he too is left out of the loop to what Optus is doing. Which makes things pretty suspicious.

Later Optus told me that they are doing upgrades in my area and that he'll put my mobile under their list and give me updates as to what is going on. I was even told that it would take around 2-3 weeks to accomplish. It's been 3 weeks since that happened. I contacted Optus just tonight at around 6:05pm AEST and they advised that I should cancel my service if I'm not getting what I paid for. Which is correct, however I don't feel like that is very good business.

Furthermore, I have suspicions that Optus is having problems on a larger scale. I've been told that my area has been experiencing a large amount of congestion due to the fact that people watch Netflix & other streaming services. Which leads me to believe that they must be signing people up for services they can't deliver.

Could Optus please just shed some light as to what is going on in my area? Could they please spare the dismissive "stay tuned and we'll let you know" attitude? Just tell me EXACTLY why my internet is insanely slow? Switching providers has occurred to me, although it will not fix my issue. This has been such an ongoing problem and what makes it worst is that Optus is not being transparent. I feel that I am not getting what I paid for and I'm sent all over the place by their technical support team.

I have a job that requires my net be up to par and it doesn't help when I have to use my mobile data (and end up with a whopping bill) whenever my net gets this bad.

Re: Slow cable connection speeds in Panania, Optus isn't being transparent

JT81

Exactly the same with me - cable in Brisbane.  Speeds are 1 - 7 mbps all the time - there is no relationship between the time of day (I've done speedtests through the day and night on all days) so certainly not "peak" time dips. It's constantly terrible. I can't even watch the lowest quality streaming on Youtube anymore. They mis-sold the cable product as being NBN fast and able to stream things like Netflix etc. Now even their own Fetch service is failing to work for me, with buffering and poor resolution. I cannot watch the ESPN channel they provide - I can't see the soccer ball. So I'm sure EPL won't be watchable either.

Optus blame the congestion they are creating. The business model seems to be:

a) sign up 1000 people on infrastructure that supports 100 people

b) tell the 50% of people who wait on the phone for hours (only to be told... well... nothing...) that they can put up with it or switch providers.

c) keep 750 subscribers who've been beaten into submission on the massively oversubscribed network, paying for 30/100mbps but getting about 4.

I am collecting evidence of the slow speeds. All Optus users should do the same. With enough evidence sent to the ACCC and/or a firm willing to conduct the class action, Optus may be forced to comply with consumer law. However, the pathetic fine that was handed out when Optus lied about speed to oversell its cable network has not done anything to deter them from failing to deliver on promises. The best protest would be for everyone to cancel their payments and wait til Optus switches off your service before switching. Then let Optus battle thousands of counterclaims for failure to provide the service as promised. Cashflow is the only thing Optus respond to anymore.

Alex_H

Hey Mannilie & JT81 - It's disappointing to hear that you've been experiencing issues with your service. If the issue has been confirmed as peak time slows that are affecting you we're unable to see a date for scheduled upgrades most of the time as they are subject to change, that's why we've got that register for our affected customers. In saying that though, I can't see your service specifically and it may show a date that's been set in place for upgrades to be performed, I'm unable to make a blind guess at what's happening in your area as they aren't all the same. I can appreciate it's not a good situation at all. I'm happy to check what's going on with your service individually if you can PM your account number as well as the full name and DOB on the account. 

Highlighted

beetroot

I'm sorry but that's not good enough,

You signed us up and your network can't cope, yet you continue to sign people up before fixing the bandwidth issues. Not to mention that you can't give us straight answers. I was put on a so called register and haven't heard a peep from it.

We know what the problem is, there is nothing to check, just fix it.

This forum is riddled with these compliants, another can be found here: Other thread complaining about the same topic

Beetroot

Hollie

Hey beetroot - it is definitely something our Networks team are aware of and working on, as you can appreciate - we don't always have time frames for upgrades available as sometimes there may be a few different places in the Network that need to be upgraded for our customers to notice a significant speed increase. It sounds like you have been provided with options moving forward with your service, if not, please contact customer service on 133937.

Apologies if this wasn't the outcome you had hoped for. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

beetroot

Hi Hollie,

I can't appreciate that so please don't assume that I can. It's unacceptable. What if I was slow on my payments to Optus and gave you the same response?

"Hey Optus, Apologies but as you can appreciate I'm aware of the issue and I'm working on it"

I don't think that would go down well, do you?

I have called the 133937 number and they told me that they would add me to a register (which I received a confirmation SMS from but nothing else) and then I received a call from someone named Mary back in April who told me that it could take months to resolve.

Why don't you appreciate that!

Beetroot

Hollie

I can see I have offered in the past to look into your particular service and chat about the options you have moving forward but I never received your details. If you'd like to chat about this further please PM me with your Internet username. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

kanders

Hi I have been thinking of swapping to OPTUS But reading these posts plus the trouble my Parents have had I wonder if it is really worth while. So far my answer is NO. I do not need the agrivation of incorrect information plus Sri Lankan phone operators.

brapbrap

Yes we also live in Panania NSW and have had very slow speeds over the last few months. Optus have been no help at all in getting us the service we pay for. We are on a cable only plan at the highest speed offered but night after night we sit at a massive 2mb.

For once I would like Optus to conact me and offer assistance instead of making me chase them.

More often than not I am forced to use our Telstra 4g to get service.

Alex_H

Hey there @brapbrap - Really disappointing to hear that the service isn't up to scratch for you. What did our Tech team advise was the issue causing it? 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
75 Kudos
52 Kudos
42 Kudos
29 Kudos