Searching...

Slow cable broadband speeds in Altona North

[ Edited ]
crackers

At the time I signed up to Optus cable broadband in January this year (2015) I was getting 50mbps+ speeds. Then it seemed once a bunch of people subscribed to the $90 cable deal the speed in the evening is lucky to be between 3-4mbps on a daily basis and only reaching 13mbps during the day. I should also add I am supposedly on the "speed pack". There was a time I could get 100mbps.

Since I started reporting this to Optus in April i've been told on numerous occasions that they can see there is network congestion in the area and they will need to install a new node. It's now September and they still have no date that this miraculous node will be intalled. Meanwhile optus continue to rake in money by oversubscribing their network.

Anyway else have this issue?

Re: Slow cable broadband speeds in Altona North

Nghi

Really sorry to hear that crackers. Which postcode are you in? Were you ever provided with a fault reference number? I'll be able to check on any upgrades scheduled for you area. If you are experiencing slows outside of peak hours then unlikely to be related to congestion. In that case I'd suggest raising a fault to get it investigated and tech booked if required. 

crackers

HI Nghi,

The postcode is 3025. I was never proided with a fault ref number. (even though I called on multipel occasionas for the same issue).

At the outset of the speed issues an Optus tech was sent out - he didn't really think it was an issue on our end, but still just put a filter on the modem end of the coax cable...?

My average speeds during the day used to be in excess of 30 - 100mbps. Now middle of the day I'm still lucky to get 12-15mbps. Then 2-4mbps in the peak times.

Maybe another tech should come out..?

Hollie

Sounds like it may be more than peak time congestion if you're receiving slower speeds in the middle of the day too. Give our tech guys a buzz on 131344 and go through some further troubleshooting with them - if you still need a hand once you've contacted them let me know and we can investigate this further.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

crackers

Didi a speed test today at around 10am and got between 25 - 30mbps. The did another tonight 9:30pm and got 2.5mbps!! Looking to me like network congestion....as I have been told each time I have called.

What is being done? Surely this can't be considered acceptable. 

see result here http://netgauge.ookla.com/share/278655129.png

Nghi

Hey crackers, There are a few nodes servicing Altona North 3025 but you are most likely connected to a Sunshine CMTS. We do have several upgrades planned for the surrounding areas and expect most to be completely by the end of the year. These estimates are tentative from our Network team and can be moved forward/back depending on circumstances like outages. 

crackers

Hi Nghi,

Thanks for the reply.

I called tech last night and they also advised me tjere will be a upgrade "at some point". They then booked a technician to come and check my modem etc. Which I'm guessing will be time wasting as my speed this morning was 70mbps and now 2.5mbps again. So clearly it's just network congestion and they simply need to upgarde the server that I am bouncing off.

It's a shame they didn't have the forsight to do this prior to their big promotion and over subscribing of the network. Who should I call for to discuss some remuneration for the poor service I've simply put up with since March?

Hollie

Hey crackers, credits are assessed on a case by case basis but the best people to chat to about this are our Customer Service team on 133937.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

OptusUs3r
Posted previously. The speeds have always been 7-8 MB/s during the morning and then deteriorates to < 500 KB/s after 6 PM. This is a congestion issue and I would suggest that people move onto Telstra as soon as their contract ends. There is nothing at all Optus can do to help it. They will not invest in extra nodes in Altona to ease congestion when they are planning to invest in the NBN instead.

crackers

HI Optusus3r,

I'm guessing you're right - seeing the issue has been apparent since March this year. Still getting 2-3mps during peak times. Speed at 2:30pm yesterday was 90mbps.....so network congestion it definitely is.

I notice my bills are spot on though!!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
74 Kudos
53 Kudos
38 Kudos
25 Kudos