Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Peter1812
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Slow broadband speed and difficulty talking to Optus

Hi crowd,

Problem: very slow internet

Impact: Netflix just buffers and when available displays at reduced quality. Most YouTube videos also won’t display. Very slow internet.

Length of problem: this problem has existed for 6 months and is getting progressively worse. I have a  umber of speed tests that show a download speed ranging from 0.9 mbps to 0.24 mbps. 

ive tried reporting my slow internet problem to Optus however have a lot of difficulty making contact. Called the 133937 number and was told there’s a 20 minutes wait. I waited. At 44 minutes I hung up (I took screen print of wait time should I later need it). I called technical support again and  requested a call back. Lloyd called me back in a suitable time however he said he can’t help me and I would need to call another service number 133344. I called the number and there was an other significant delay in response time so I though I’d try Optus chat. I requested a chat and received a text message and link. When I clicked the link I received a message that the chat was busy and try again later. 

If Optus is monitoring this yes crowd my account is <removed for privacy>

any ideas on how to contact Optus for a discussion on rectifying my slow speed or even to make contact with Optus would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
AlexRH
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Slow broadband speed and difficulty talking to Optus

Hey there, disappointing to hear that you've had some trouble with your speed and getting this resolved 😞 Those speeds definitely aren't looking too flash.

Can you please confirm if you're getting these speeds over ethernet or WiFi?

If you haven't already, would recommend checking out our troubleshooting guides available HERE and letting us know how you go.

Just a heads up, I've removed your account number from the post - would recommend never posting your account or personal info on such a public platform. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Peter1812
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Answers to questions

1. Wifi

2. Troubleshooting guide recommendations followed without success

woukd you please suggest what you can do to rectify the internet connection slow speed?

also what is the minimum speed I can expect on my Optus internet service? 

Thankyou

0 Kudos
Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

We would need to work out what's causing the slow speeds in order to reach a resolution. There is an endless number of variables that could affect your line, so further troubleshooting will need to be completed to narrow it down.

Are you able to run a speed test via ethernet to compare with WiFi? This will help rule out your hardware.

Otherwise we'll need Tech Support to investigate further and possibly book a technician. I can see you've struggled to reach them in the past, so please feel free to send me a private message with your account number, full name and DOB. I'll run through Tech Support's previous notes and advise of steps moving forward.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Peter1812
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Optus,

It's been a number of days since I sent you the requested prictae email with contact and account details. I haven't had a response to the email. Could you please repond with the next steps to resolve my slow internet spped issue?

thanks

Pete

0 Kudos
mattdulwich
New Contributor
New Contributor

Pete we live in dulwich hill and our internet speeds over the past month have been a joke. 4-5hrs to download a movie. A lot of browser pages don't open due to the slow speed. Did they offer a discount to your bill?
0 Kudos
morningside
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pete, we have an identical experience here in Morningside, Queensland - no response even from the forum moderators after they offered to look into it - seems we’ve hit a dead end. Best of luck - please post if you find a fix/resolution, and I will do the same. I suspect the network can’t handle the load at this time of year - we had 3 months of it from Dec-Feb 2016 and did get 3 months credit but it doesn’t make up for the time lost and stress caused - I don’t think they get how frustrating the whole process is! 

0 Kudos
Peter1812
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mattdulwich, I haven’t been offered any refund as yet. After an initial quick response to my Yescrowd question and providing requested account information on a private email I haven’t had any further response from Optus. 

Thanks for for letting me know about your shared experience with slow internet speeds. 

Pete

0 Kudos
Peter1812
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mornigside,

Yes I agree that slow internet speeds are very frustrating especially when a Netflix subscription can’t be used - the result is payment of an unusable Netflix bI’ll as well as the Optus bill for an internet service that’s also not fit for service. After an initial quick response to my Yescrowd question and providing requested account information on a private email I haven’t had any further response from Optus.

Thanks for for letting me know about your shared experience with slow internet speeds.

Pete

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hey @Peter1812,

We've just had the chance to respond back to your private message. I've run a couple of tests and I've commented back with the results we've received. We'll continue chatting with you there. We're more than happy to discuss some options with you moving forward. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors