cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor kts350
Occasional Contributor

Slow WIFI Sagem modem

I've got an issue where my wifi seems to run slow, I've read heaps on this forum about how crap the wifi signal is on the white adsl sagem modem. Given the number of problems I've read about with this modem I doubt Optus can help so as I see it the only alternativers I have is to get a new wifi mdoem/router or a range extender or maybe both.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative modem/router or range extender, we live in a big house so I assume I may need both anyway but I even crap wifi speeds on my lap when it's on the same level as the modem and only a room away.

Also the kids complain about the wifi being slow when they trying to use their phones or tablets.

I do have a net gear router sitting there doing nothing is there a way I connect it up to extend the range of wifi.

My big prob is when we moved in my old phone company connected the wrong phone line up so my router/modem sits in a different room to my pc and laptop and there's too much distance between the two to cable connect them.

Thanks for your advice.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Occasional Contributor

Re: Slow WIFI Sagem modem

spoke to optus apparently my modem isn't dual band so they sending me out a different modem which dual and should fix my connection problems, im sceptical given what ive read so I will wait and see if it works if not looks like I will have to go and buy a dual band wifi modem.

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

I can understand your frustrations with this @kts350. Basically WiFi speeds depend on a number of factors such as the location of the modem, how many devices are connected at any given time and also the modem itself. I'm glad a replacement has already been done for you. Please let us know how you go with the new modem. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Ok ive given a couple of weeks with the new modem and the wifi is still crap. why cant optus supply decent wifi modems instead of the 3rd rate crap they do supply.

For the record my modem is on the same floor of the house im on no more then 15m away and i still get slow connections on my phone and laptop.

Looks like im going to have to fork out some money to buy a decent modem something i wouldnt have to do if optus actually supplied a decent one.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Since receiving the new modem @kts350 have you tried using different WiFi channels to see if this helps at all? Have you had someone had a look at your connection it's self just to make sure there isn't anything else going on there with the service? If not, happy to do this if you can send through a PM with your full name, DOB and the Internet username or account number. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Ive changes channels a few time doesnt help, plugged my laptop in by cable to the modem works great. seems its the wifi capabilities of the modem are very ordinary.

Took 5 min to post this via my phone because the wifi is slow or keeps dropping out my phone keeps changing between wifi and my mobile data and keep getting a message saying my wifi connection is not stable.

Guess im going to buy another modem as the optus supplied one is woeful.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Azz75
New Contributor

My work around was to plug in a D-link DA 2630 AP as the wifi on the sagacom are ordinary at best? The hardware provided by Optus should not need a work around supply solid hardware would save them calls 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

a quick up date 3 months later my wifi is still rubbish but now I can actually afford it im off to buy a modem which should hopefully fix my problem.

I think its utterly disgusting that we pay for a service and Optus supply you sub standard equipment to that fact you have to go out and actually spend money replacing the equipment they supply you.

Over the years ive been with a few different service providors and optus is the only I've actually had to go out and buy a modem to replace the one supplied by a company every other telvo has managed to supply me with a modem that worked better then this one does.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Luluet
New Contributor

Did you end up replacing your modem? We have the exact same problem. Our NBN upgrade wifi is dreadful compared to the 4 year old boxy Netgear one we used to have. All our devices run so slowly

0 Kudos
New Contributor Azz75
New Contributor

No I no longer use Optus for NBN we had great service for around 12 months then it was poor speeds etc we got told it was congestion which we never had previously and we got sorry can’t help u 😞 the modems are rubbish your better off with a linksys or other brand?? I’m now with Telstra and the modem they supply is branded sagacom but is brilliant:)

0 Kudos