Searching...
Accepted Solution

Slow Chrome Downloads

Lenessia

Just changed to Optus cable literally yesterday, and although I've been relatively happy about it, the download speed in google chrome really bugs me out. My speed through the Optus Speed Test is:

Download Speed: 63246 kbps (7905.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1513 kbps (189.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 13 ms
08/02/2015 23:28:00

Assuming that I converted the units correctly, it's definitely not normal for me to have to download a 82.7MB file at only 17 - 21 KB/s. Everything is loading quickly and smoothly. Am I missing something important here?

Re: Slow Chrome Downloads

MiCCAS
Hey there!

You're right, 17-21 KB/s definitely sounds slow for the connection you seem to be having.

There are loads of reasons why you might be experiencing slow downloads, so let's try and work our way through them towards a resolution Smiley Happy

Firstly, can you let us know what file you're trying to download? It might be worth trying to download a file from a well-known site, as this will give you a better indication of the speed you can download. Try this link - http://download.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/gimp-2.8.14-setup-1.exe

Let us know how you go!

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Lenessia
Last Result:
Download Speed: 70736 kbps (8842 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1641 kbps (205.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 13 ms
09/02/2015 18:44:43

And I'm downloading the file at 200-215 KB/s now

Solution

MiCCAS
Hey there!

That's great news - from what I can tell it sounds like the other file you're trying to download is coming down slow due to the server it's hosted on. The file you tried downloading at 200+ KB/s is on a slower server as well, but it download faster than that other file Smiley Happy

I'd recommend trying to obtain the file from another location if speed is an issue, but it sounds as though this shouldn't affect other browsing Smiley Happy

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Lenessia

thanks for the help!

but the thing is, today I decided to download the same file from the same place, but it started downloading at around 150 KB/s, way faster than yesterday.. 

At least everything is fixed now !

MiCCAS
Interesting!

It could mean you had some temporary issues, but it's also highly likely that the server you were downloading from was just experiencing some issues.

Either way it's fantastic to hear it's fixed itself! Don't forget we're always here if you need help Smiley Happy

Michael.

Slow Chrome Downloads

PeterMcKenna

Hey there,

I'm having the same trouble, although my download is very slow with everything. it was quite good but has slowed considerably over a few weeks.

I tried the link you posted for a download and it will take 45mins to download. i find it impossible to watch video on youtube etc.

I am an ADSL 2+ customer on a 50gb plan.

Very frustrating. is it my modem?

Highlighted

Ryan

Hey Peter - do you know what connection speeds you normally see on your connection? Try running a speed test here while physically connected to the modem via an Ethernet cable & post your results back for us to take a look at for you.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
82 Kudos
76 Kudos
71 Kudos
40 Kudos
30 Kudos