Searching...

Slow Cable Broadband Speed

LMK

Experiencing slower cable broadband speed again. Optus speed test shows 18.22Mbps download. Use Optus supplied NETGEAR Gateway CG3000v2 and have Premium Speed Pack. Need someone from Optus to contact us. Not going through the telephone ring around again as we did last time to address speed issue and which Optus will have on record.

Re: Slow Cable Broadband Speed

ninkasi

Hi @LMK. Good luck. I'd note that Optus do not guarantee that you will always get 100mb with the speed pack - just that it allows you to get speeds up to a maximum of that when conditions allow. If you are not getting more than 30mb most of the time then you may simply be better off removing the speed pack and saving your money.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/network/internet-speed

Gotta love the "Like roads, our networks have different speed limits - some being much faster than others - and all are dictated by factors meaning you may experience slower speeds than the maximum, most of the time." So you may experience slower speeds most of the time = most of the time it will be slower. I guess if you extend that analogy, when you are stuck in a traffic jam it doesn't matter if you're driving a Ferrari or a Daihatsu Mighty Boy as you're going to be travelling at about the same speed. Sigh....

LMK

Hi @ninkasi. Thanks for your comments. According to Optus our modem maybe faulty. History repeating itself. Maybe we are in this bracket...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/optus-secretly-cuts-users-broadband-speed-...

Nghi

Hey LMK, do the speeds ever improve during the day? If not, then it could very well be a faulty modem or signal problems coming into your house. Our Cable tech team on 1300300693 will need to investigate and send out new modem or arrange for a tech visit.

LMK

Hi Nghi An Optus technician has already visited our house. He advised the modem was fine in terms of signal strength etc. He witnessed the speed we are getting (18mbps) using the Ookla test. Speed (Using Ookla) is the same Monday to Sunday and at different times of the day and night. After numerous chats and telephone calls over the space of a week (We spent a week a year ago to get the Premium Speed Pack applied) we were eventually advised that congestion seems to be the problem. At our old house, where we lived up until two months ago (and which is less than a kilometre away) we were regularly (Once we had got the Premium Speed Pack successfully applied) getting cable broadband speeds of up to 85mbps and norm was 30mbps+ so I am not sure how congestion has become such a problem in such a relatively short space of time. Regards LMK

Alex_H

Hey there @LMK - I can appreciate how annoying the speed drop is for you. Although you may be not too far from your old house, you may be sitting on a different exchange/node. I can't tell exactly what causing the recent flat line of your area but it would most likely be either a rise in usage or subscribers, we do have a register for our customers that are affected by this issue. It keeps you in the loop for network upgrades that are scheduled or going ahead. Did our Faults team pop you on the register at all?

LMK

Hi @Alex_H Many thanks for your reply. Either no one who is connected to the exchange/node we are connected too is using the internet this morning or someone at Optus has actioned something with regard to our Speed Pack as we are now, for the first time since we moved into this house, getting download speeds equivalent to what we were getting at our old house (85mbps+). We will of course continue to monitor.

alexkethel

What frustrates me is that I was able to get the theoretical maximum 100MBS with the speed pack that another moderator graciously gave me, when doing a Speed Test, and I was regularly able to get peaks of up to 8.1mbs from a Usenet supplier during school hours, and even Youtube DLs of as high as 12mbs, then at the beginning of this month my original 250GB +250GB plan was discontinued and I was moved to an Unlimited Fusion plan that I didn't need, at less than 1/3 the maximum speed which has translated in practice to REAL DL speeds of MUCH less  than half of what I was previously getting in off peak hours.

gerver

Optus download AVG May           

Download           avg Download                   lowest download              absolut lowest

1 - 7

W1

kbps

Kbps

8 - 14

W2

Kbps

Kbps

15 - 21

W3

Kbps

Kbps

22 - 28

W4

Kbps

Kbps

29 - 30

W5

kbps

kbps

Avg May                             download                           lowest avg download                     lowest download

41467    kbps                      18222    kbps                                     3649      kbps      

Avg April                             30464 kbps

Avg March                          33450 kbps

A small increase in the overall download speed compared with April. The fluctuation for download speed is between 41467 kbps and 18222 kbps

Download:                         = the overall average from every day/week

Lowest Download:           = the lowest average from every measurement from day/week

lowest download:            = the absolute lowest download speed for the month

I have the speed pack - optus has offered  (and i have accepted_ a discount and we will review the situation in 3 month

Highlighted

alexkethel

Hi Gerver

Are these OPtus Speed Test results ?

I am fortunate in having a typical Latency : 10 ms and Jitter: 1 ms, with normally close to the theoretical DL speed on Optus Speed Test, previously even slightly exceeding 100mbs,however in the real world , after school hours and on weekends, this service can often drop well below 500 kilobits and even Youtube videos can become unplayable. I sometimes need to DL them using Freemake Video downloader to even watch them.

It would be great to have the Speedpack returned again !

Alex

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
72 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
27 Kudos