Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
OwenL
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Slow ADSL

Hi, Looking for advice please for slow internet speed. I am on ADSL2 as do not have NBN in my area yet. Recently my internet kept dropping out and after a call with optus they suggested for modem was faulty and I need a new one. I now Sagemcomm black modem and ever since I have used I have found my internet speed is painfully slow to the point where it is becoming unusable for work, kids school work and connecting to online gaming. I have been on to optus on several occasions and even has Telstra out to check the lines but nothing has worked. Looking for any help as I can't keep this going as is - is this modem a dud perhaps ? any help appreciated
0 Kudos
2 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Slow ADSL

Hi, 

What suburb are you in?

Note that Optus can "tune" your ADSL line from their end. They can go agressive which has more speed but increases the likelyhood for dropouts. Or it sounds like when you complained they may have dialed the speed down to improve stablity. Perhaps contact them now and ask them to go more agressive on your line?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
AlistarS
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Slow ADSL

Hi @OwenL,

It sounds like we've given you the dual band Sagemcom modem. The modem has two available WiFi Networks, that's 2Ghz & 5Ghz WiFi Networks. I've found that the 5Ghz network seems to be set as the default network. Could you try selecting the 2.4Ghz Network? As a general rule the 2.4Ghz network should be used when you're further away from the modem. The 5Ghz Network does allow for faster speeds but is subject to more signal loss the further you are away from the modem.

The password should be the same. I'd try switching between the two networks, hopefully that makes a difference. If not, I'd also suggest running a speed test over Ethernet. If there's a large discrepancy between the tests run over WiFi vs the Ethernet test, that might suggest that the new modem is faulty. 

0 Kudos