Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Shay86
New Contributor

Slow 4g moblie broadband

Hi team.

Today I purchased the 500gb per month $80 plan from optus with the Huawei B525 modem.

I plugged it in, set it up and ran a few speed tests.

The best I got was 6mb down and 3mb up per sec at 3pm an Saturday.

Pretty disappointed with this as I was led to believe I would at least get 20mb down.

I live at Shepparson Ave in Carnegie VIC which according to the optus coverage page has excellent 4g coverage.

My adsl is rubbish as well. Lucky to get 5mb down on a good day and NBN is at least 6 months away.

Any ideas, team?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Shay

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Slow 4g moblie broadband

Its VERY reliant on signal, move the router around, hopefully on a windowsil.

Try different side of the house/unit/flat/shed etc

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor Shay86
New Contributor

Thanks Paddy. 

Thats helped somewhat. It fluctuates alot at, times its 18mb down and then it slips down to under 5mb. All in the space of 2 hours (7am-9am Sunday) with only one device, my phone connected.

Also in one bedroom the signal completely dies. Strange for a small apartment.

Perhaps I should invest in an interal antena for the modem?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

According to : https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/network/coverage

You have towers all around your area. Apartments are normally pretty bad due to the volume of concrete, structual steel and other building materials, hence why trying it near a window would be the best solution in an apartment.

The mobile network is a shared resource, so speed variations are very normal especially in metro areas.

The device has a built in antenna, unless you were going to have an external (to the building) antenna fitted you wont see much of a change.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor etherlight
New Contributor

Hey, i live on the street parallel to yours and i'm facing the same issue. 

Has the speed increased since the date of this post?

0 Kudos
New Contributor LmiWestEnd
New Contributor

I’m in West End, Brisbane - download speeds for past 2 weeks have been below 2MBs - what is going on!? 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Checking our network status page that Paddylee mentioned above there are three towers there undergoing 4G upgrades for the next few days and there may be service interruptions.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Zookrider
New Contributor

Same for me. 2 months in and its terribly slow, like stuggle to do simple stuff, like browsing... Even when I have 4 to 5 bars. And that was 4 months ago. Should have stayed with my my Telstra IDSL. Now I locked in and and I doubt that they will let me out. SAD FACE 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi zookrider,

Have you contacted Optus about this? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Zookrider
New Contributor

Yes, I went back to the store I bought it from twice they have told me that I maybe suffering from low signal strength and tower load. I ended up buying bunny ear external antennas and swicthing that fearure on the the backend. I have tried all sorts of positions in the house. I even found a website that showed where the 4g optus towers are and took it to a few and still slow on all. 

I have been the victim of 'shaping' with other carriers, so have been a Telstra customer for years for that reason, faster, reliable. Just thought 4g was different somehow. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors