Occasional Contributor jeex87
Occasional Contributor

Re: Slow 4g Wireless Broadband

Nope - I stopped using/paying it...

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Podge6789
Occasional Contributor

haha - thanks for the update and loss of hope! 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Podge6789.

Had you migrated to Optus after the VIVID Wireless closure? We did have an issue impacting customers who'd migrated from VIVID. There was an issue resulting in speeds being throttled. We were advised that the issue had been resolved.

I'd suggest reaching out our team on Social media. Send them a quick message on FB or Twitter. They'll be able to refer the case to our Tier 2 Technical case management team. They'll be able to check whether cell congestion is a factor as well as check the current configuration of the service to ensure that it's been setup correctly. 

Our case management team will call you back with the results of their investigation within 12-24 hours of the team submitting a referral. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

No I signed up in Feb 19 to the Optus 200gb plan (ADSL was getting too slow). It has been faultless since with speeds 30-40mbps even during peak times. Since Sunday it has been terrible 1-3mbps. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor JasonJT
New Contributor

I have the same issue; under 0.5mbs mobile broadband speeds with Optus. I logged an issue in May 2019 and its July now and its still not resolved. The Optus helpdesk (phone and chat) people are useless, and I can't get a L2 support to call me back so self-help is my only option. 

I've worked out that my nearest 4G towers seem to be the problem. I can point my router in another direction (at other towers, which have a weaker signal) and get a temporarily improved speed but it eventually defaults back to the stronger signal (and borked speeds) towers. 

Any way to change the towers that the route connects to?

0 Kudos
New Contributor MigzMD
New Contributor

Hello all. This was Optus’s answer when I asked re discrepancy between my 4g mobile speeds and the mobile broadband speeds:

Mobile broadband and mobile network uses different frequencies to work.

Mobile broadband uses high frequency around 2300 Mhz 

For mobile connection it is 700 Mhz, 1800 Mhz and 2100 Mhx maximum.

Please don't compare the mobile internet speed and broadband internet speed as it is two different devices working under 2 different network frequencies.

Mobile broadband and mobile network uses different frequencies to work.

Mobile broadband uses high frequency around 2300 Mhz 

For mobile connection it is 700 Mhz, 1800 Mhz and 2100 Mhx maximum.

Please don't compare the mobile internet speed and broadband internet speed as it is two different devices working under 2 different network frequencies.

I’m just disappointed that they advertise their mobile broadband as if it uses the same 4g networks, they should tell people that they’re two entirely different speeds. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Clair-moore
New Contributor

We have been using a 4g wireless modem for a year now.  But all if a sudden it has slowed down.  2.5 download and 0.3 upload. We were getting so much better speeds.  We are located central in Perth so I shouldn't be so slow.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey there Clair-Moore,

Slow internet is definitely frustrating.

Just clarifying that you've always been in central Perth, you haven't moved?

Have you had a chance to check out Network map to look to see if there are any known issues/outages?

Any other troubleshooting you have tried?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I had a similar issue and posted within this thread. 

I solved it by calling the helpdesk. They advised to reset the modem by putting a pin in the reset hole. They also reset something a their end (i received a text confirming the reset). 

I am now back to full speed (30-40mbps). 

No idea what happened and why it went from faultless service to zero for no reason.

Hopefully you find this useful.  

0 Kudos
New Contributor BunnyHugs99
New Contributor

This happens to me whenever I exceed max data for the month., I get 50gb extra on top for an extra $50.00, after which Optus slows us (anyone on 4g mbb who goes over their max allocated data usage) to 100-600kbps (dial-up speeds) until the next billing cycle begins.

During the slowed time you will see your mbb optus router gain signal bars, usually an extra 2 bars, or to maximum.

When it resets, your bars will drop back to your standard number of bars. 

This indicates that Optus have re-opened your data channels  again.

What frequently happens is that the billing doesnt register on the data usage Optus MBB  system at the Optus exchange/control /point of interconnect centre and you stay stuck on dialup speed until you can get someone to reset it manually.

That is nearly impossible to achieve because the Telecommunications Industry is populated by greedy thugs. 

Take it from me, I am a fully qualified and licensed technician who has worked on Telstra, NBN, HFC, FTTC, FTTB, FTTN, Optus, TPG, Vodafone etc at towers, exchanges, customer premises, airports, government offices and I know.

Good luck getting it reset within the month, or ever. 

0 Kudos