Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor jeex87
Occasional Contributor

Slow 4g Wireless Broadband

Hi All, 

I live in Altona North, which is a dead zone for NBN...Which dates have been pushed back for the last 3 years.

So 3 months ago I signed up to Optus 4G wireless broardband with the Huawei modem. I was getting 100-110Mbps off-peak and 50-60Mbps on-peak, which was fantastic since my adsl connection is about 3Mbps...

But since last weekend - it all changed...

I'm lucky to reach 2Mbps off-peak! The speed does not change even when on-peak.

I've tried contacting support - but they were no help in the end.

I've reset the modem, tried different bands etc to no avail.

I've moved the modem to a different room, tried wireless and wired connection and even put the modem outside...Speed does not change.

Have anyone else had this issue?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Slow 4g Wireless Broadband

Sounds like their was towers down for mainternance, but looking at https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/network/coverage?sid=mobilecoverage:from:mobilenetworks:fy2018 they seem all up (though thats as of now, not in the last week).

Do you have any optus mobiles at all - if so - what sort of speed with those?

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I don't have any optus mobiles, just telstra for mobile. Speeds are fine with those.

I tried placing the optus sim from the router in to my mobile, achieved same speeds, not going over 2Mbps. Even went for a drive to nearest tower...same speed...

I didn't sign up for $80 per month for a 500gb plan for 2Mbps...

Anyone in Altona North experiencing internet woes?

0 Kudos
New Contributor wjohnstone05
New Contributor

I’m having the exact same issues. Lightning fast when we first joined, but now painfully slow during the evening peak periods. 

We live in St Kilda and also have mobile phones with Optus, but the issue seems to be just with the wireless broadband. Just ran a Speedtest and got 2Mbps on the wireless modem and 60Mbps on the mobile phone. 

No idea what the issue is... super frustrating though!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Optus can you provide any advise on to why this would be the case?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Router supports at most - 2 bands at once, mid range phones can connect to 3-6  bands at once.

Perhaps your router is connecting to the congested 700Mhz band as thats what most devices connect to due to its low frequency (meaning it gets inside better then tge higher bands) 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunatly I've tried that option.

I've just realised - This is probably a factor, congestion on the network due to Vivid merge;

"

Vividwireless phase-out

In 2012, Optus purchased the Vividwireless business and in recent years, this service has been delivered through the Optus 4G Plus network. We have now decided to close the Vividwireless business and Vividwireless will cease to provide services from April 2019. From April 2019 all wireless home internet will continue to be provided on the Optus 4G Plus network by Optus under the Optus brand.

"

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Vividwireless merge was from a pure billing and support standpoint. 

Although they used only the 2300Mhz 4g band it was essentially a optus mobile wholesale product. 

Same towers, backhaul etc. 

Vividwireless users still are locked to band 40 aka 2300Mhz on their existing plans.

The takeup of the 200/500gb wireless broadband plans looks to have been quite large, id say that it would contribute in some locations. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Agreed - I'm thankful I went for the month to month option.

I don't think paying $80.00 for the 4G wireless running at now .5Mb per second in peak times is worth it.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Podge6789
Occasional Contributor

Same....Super fast when first joined and now 1-2mbps?! Helpdesk not very helpful as to why. Did anyone solve this? 

I'm in Parkwood 4214

0 Kudos