Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor WendyWoo22
New Contributor

Re: Slow 4g Wireless Broadband

This Worked for me...

I had same problem. Called tech support & they gave me a fix , which worked super well, but after 12 hours my modem light turned red. Called Tech support again & took modem into store to either get a new SIM or replace modem. Got new SIM, got home and modem was slow again (0.08mps download). Reconfigured modem as per tech supports advice, got great speeds & then Modem light went red again. Called tech support again, they will call me with a fix tomorrow......  Not content I did some searching and decided it was one of the setting I used to increase the speed.

Found this guide & downloaded it. https://devicehelp.optus.com.au/huawei/b525-windows-10/connectivity/set-up-your-router-for-internet/

1. Clicked on the ‘Connectivity Tab’
  2. Followed the ‘How to setup your Router for Internet’ process which guided me to create a new profile. (Which I’d already done by following Tech support instructions, but these were a bit different).
  3. Then I ran through the ‘Choose a network mode’ guide & viola!

Great speed, modem working & tonight I am my son’s hero!

My initial mistake was thinking my modem had been correctly configured when I bought it and whilst it may have been, Network upgrades slowed speeds. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor ozzcaddy
Occasional Contributor

I have just read through all the Posts on this Subject, as I have been trying to find out what the maximum speeds are for the Optus WIreless Home Broadband. As Optus does not publicise it and after speaking via Live Chat with Tech Support which was useless and a waist of time, just told me a maximum of 2Mbps, but if getting 5Mbps that is good.

I came across from Vividwireless and remain on the same Plan that I was on with Vividwireless which has the max speeds of 12/1, which was the norm for All ISP's with wireless home broadband. I'm still undecided to change over to the Optus Wireless Modem and Broadband Plans, after reading the comments made here, or should I wait for the 5G Wireless Home broadband, as I am in inner Sydney.

My initial question which I posted on Yes Crowd, was about a Firmware Upgrade on my Vividwireless modem last week. What I was trying to find out, was the firmware upgrade on All modems or just Vividwirless modems? After the upgrade, for the next 2 days my speeds dropped from 12mbps to 4-5Mbps - was there a glitch? My speeds returned to 12Mbps over the weekend. No one on Yes Crowd or Tech Support could answer those questions.

What speeds do users normally average with the Optus Wireless Home Broadband?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Wireless Home Broadband plans no longer exist.
These were speed restricted 5/1 & 12/1 plans that were replaced in November 2018 by Wireless Broadband.

Wireless Broadband lists no maximum speeds, but you can see what the technical limitation of the device/router on offer.

Netgear 800s is a Cat11 device, meaning it has an in the lab theoretical max speed of 600Mbit.

In the real world expect up to around 150Mbit at most.

You cant set a min/max speed as its a shared medium, different amount of spectrum, users and geographical layouts all contribute.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Paddylee for explaining what the network is now to what it was.

As there are no Max/Min speeds, what is classified as slow speed?

Also, you mention Netgear 800s is a Cat11 device, but the Plan shows Huawei B525 modem - Cat6.

I'm confused with what you have mentioned to what is available.

I appreciate the information. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Choice of device here:

https://offer.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/wireless-modems/

As for what would be classified as slow speed - dont know the official limitation, but one would expect it to be 5-10Mbit.

You are covered under:
https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/network

Optus ​Coverage ​Commitment

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Paddylee,  thanks for the information and your comments, much appreciated.

Tech Support provided me with this information, which I found not very useful, as he was talking about my Vividwireless mdoem. I am constantly getting the max allowed speeds 12/1Mbps, except for thise 2 dyas last week..

Gladwyn (12:23:31 AEST) : As per this modem you will get maximum speed above 2 mbps and as I checked your area the network is very good so the speed will increase eventually.

Gladwyn (12:34:50 AEST) : Any speed what you get more then 5 Mbps its consider as good speed.

At least I now have a better understanding of Optus Wireless Broadband, and the speeds that can be obtained.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Podge6789
Occasional Contributor

I get around 20-30mbps down and about the same upload during peak times (Parkwood 4214). It used to get up to 40mbps but haven't seen this lately. I am now on the Optus 500gb plan with the b525 modem
0 Kudos