Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Simple broadband troubleshooting steps

These tips may help to resolve speed, connection and internet accessibility issues whilst working from home. 

Before you begin:

• Disconnect your VPN. You’ll want to test the service to see if the issue is occurring on all your connected devices, and not just the VPN service. If the issues are only apparent when the VPN is enabled, you should contact your work IT team or your VPN supplier
  • Check our Network Status page to ensure there are no planned or unplanned outages in your area. If there’s a live outage, you'll be prompted to log your fault. You’ll receive SMS updates as we work to resolve the issue
  • Download and Install Optus @Home app. Here you can check the status and speed of your internet connection, reboot your modem, see connected devices, and change your WiFi network name (SSID) as well as your WiFi key (password)
  • Isolate all other pieces of equipment (where possible) and disconnect everything from your WiFi Network other than the device you’re using

For troubleshooting steps specific to your modem, check out our Device Guides, otherwise follow the troubleshooting steps below:

internet icon.png   No internet connection
  1. Restart your modem
  2. Ensure the WAN, Internet or @ light is on and green
  3. Check your wall sockets, power cables and make sure your Internet and NBN equipment are plugged in, clear from obstructions, and are not damaged
  4. Try alternate cabling if available, and/or replace damaged cabling.
  5. Restart your mobile, laptop, desktop or media devices i.e. TV's, game consoles or set- top-boxes (such as Fetch TV)
  6. Ensure WiFi is enabled, the WiFi light should be flashing
  7. Disable and then re-enable WiFi on your devices and modem (some modems do have a WiFi on/off switch
  8. Connect using a LAN/Ethernet cable as this will rule out an Optus network issue as the potential cause
Speed Icon.png  Slow speeds or WiFi dropouts
  1. Run a speed test, you can learn more about the types of speed test we suggest performing here
  2. If there’s noticeable difference between your WiFi and LAN speed, you can try switching between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi bands. Note, you will need a Dual Band modem
  3. Try re-positioning your modem. If possible, the higher the better and away from obstructions. Dense material such as concrete or solid brick walls may interfere with your WiFi signal
  4. Add a power-line adaptor or WiFi Mesh/ to your network to improve connection quality, and WiFi coverage

Other handy tips:

• Factory reset your modem. You’ll need a small pin to press down on the factory reset button on the back of your modem
  • If you have another modem, please try this as well to rule out issues with the equipment 
  • You can also use an alternative modem to act as a WiFi booster by plugging into the LAN port of your existing Optus supplied modem. Please note, you cannot enable bridge mode via the modem GUI (settings and configuration page)

Still not back online?

Covid-19 has impacted our Customer Care team's capacity to handle enquiries. You can contact us by Messaging us in the My Optus app.

We also have our Social Media service team available around the clock. You can find them on the Optus Facebook and Twitter pages.

Please ensure you let the team know that you do not have a working internet connection so that your issue is prioritised. If we think it may take longer than normal to rectify your fault, we may be able to organise an Internet assistance kit. You can discuss this with our customer care team. 

We’re determined to do whatever it takes to continue providing you with exceptional connectivity and we truly appreciate your patience and understanding as we work though these challenging times.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Simple broadband troubleshooting steps

My internet still not working ???????
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My New mobile broadband isn’t working. I have a medical issue so can’t leave home. I have called, facebooked and posted here to no avail. Can’t chat app isn’t working. I don’t know what to do here.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Jm-jazzy

I've replied to your thread on this now with some contact points available to you for assistance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: ADSL 2 connection not working since Thursday 2 April

We are seniors in total isolation and rely on Internet for Telehealth, my voluntary work and entertainment. 

Our ADSL2 line dropped out after a power failure (branch fell on power line) on Thursday 2 April. Strangely our phone landline is still working - only Internet is lost.

I factory reset modem; tried 2 other modems; tested wifi connections from iPhones/iPads; checked Windows10 settings; installed driver from CD;  even ran some config diagnostics on the PC with technical guidance.

Since 2/4/20, I have contacted OPTUS via MyOptus App; undertaken 1.5 hour phone calls to Customer Care Centre without getting through as system fault disconnected me (twice); used Facebook messenger. My contact to OPTUS has been daily and I have been given 2 case reference numbers with promises that Senior Technical Team would get back to me. Today 9/4/20, I still have not heard anything. 

I just want the line tested in order to eliminate that the router is not the problem as I don’t understand why the telephone works. I also note there is an Internet Assistance Package that OPTUS will provide - this has never been offered.

Any suggestions what next?

UPDATE: 11/4/20 Have just received phone call from OPTUS who have determined connection is definitely out and a technician is to come. Patience in this troubled time is a virtue I do not have much of - the call did make my day. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Nothing I have tried everything and not working
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi....I dont have enough internet (2 bars) to download the @optusapp to troubleshoot...wifi is good just not enough coverage for my iphone......everything was fine until 4 weeks ago when I was unable to access Chrome, send emails etc.....Optus has been no help....I have reset router...phone etc etc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi anoutska,

Please reach out to our Social Media team as per the advice under the Still not back online? section 🙂 

I'm afraid we don't have access to customer accounts here on this public forum.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

This problem has been ongoing nothing to do with VPN. It takes forever to open and email for a start. The other issues are logging in, keeps telling me email address is wrong or password is wrong CRAP. Deleting in the scan to rubbish bin another wait time
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

If you’re still needing a hand Carrabi, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos