cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor LR5
New Contributor

Should I switch to the Sagemcom modem without NBN?

Hi folks, I’m new to this forum. I’m hoping to get some tech advice without having to spend time on the phone. I have Optus broadband internet but no NBN in our area yet. We have been experiencing really slow speeds at night lately and Optus has sent me what I thought was a new modem, but it came in two boxes so I’m a bit confused. I’ve been sent a new netgear modem which is a lot smaller than my current modem and only has one Ethernet port at the back. I’ve also got a Sagemcom3864AC, which thankfully does have 4 ethernet ports. Two questions : the Sagemcom says it’s for the NBN, so will it work if I only have Optus cable internet? Also will this 2 box set up be faster or slower than my current modem which is a CG 3000-2ST. I’m not great at setting up cables so I don’t want to install it if it won’t work with my current set up. Also I’ve heard the range on these new boxes isn’t great and I have a 2 storey house so I’m worried about the wifi signal. Many thanks for your help! All I want is faster speed in the evenings!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor bradh99
New Contributor

Re: Should I switch to the Sagemcom modem without NBN?

My understanding is this is the new cable setup for Optus. One (I think the Netgear) is the modem to conect to the cable the other is the wireless router that will give you better wifi conections and speed in your place.

I'm still struggling to get the same thing to replace my old Netgear modem/router. Hopefully it will improve things 

New Contributor LR5
New Contributor

Ok thanks, I hope you get your new gear soon

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Likely just stick with the current setup for now. 

You're ADSL I take it? 

Optus has split the one box into two for some reason. The first is to just get the NBN in. The second is just a general modem.

It does have fast wifi capability (AC instead of N) if your equipment can recieve AC.

However the actual speed of your internet is unlikely to change by swapping the boxes over. 

If you'd like to experiment you could just plug the new 4 plug modem into your existing 4 plug modem (perhaps use its WAN port?).  You'd need to know the default address of the new mode and  so you could then go to its IP menu and configure it up. Although that said you should have already got a wifi login card and could maybe just see if that works.

If its too difficult then just pack then new stuff away for the time being.

Is the 4 plug new box white or black?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor LR5
New Contributor

Hi Peter, thanks for your response. Our internet is actually via the Optus coaxial cable, which is about 20 years old now. At times we can get great speed - 80mbps download during the daytime, but it’s not much use to me then! In the evenings it slows to a trickle and sometimes we can’t even get 1mbps. I know the cause is probably too much traffic on the cable before it even reaches my house, but if the new modem & gateway might help a bit I’ll give it a try. Btw, we have the Black Sagemcom AC - I’m hoping it’s the latest. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The black one is the better unit.

But unfortunately it won't make much difference to your external internet speeds. Internal speeds are constant. Its the the external ones that see you go from 80 to 1 during the day. 

As you say the cable is 20 years old and was initially meant to be used by  the NBN. Then it was deemed unsalvagable and is now slated to be scapped entirely in 2020. As such Optus (who no longer own it) have little incentive to maintain or upgrade it. Households have also recently significantly increased data consumption (Netflix?) and OPtus offer "unlimited" downloads so the result is congestion that hopefully will be resolved when you get the NBN.

Wish I could provide a better answer (at least a solution is on the horizon?).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors