Searching...

Should I buy a Netgear Orbi Cable Modem Router (CBR40)?

MichaelG

Hi Team,

I have an Optus cable internet service, the cable connects to an Optus supplied "Netgear Cable eMTA CM500V-1STAUS" modem, which connects to my 7390 Fritz Box.

I am now planning to upgrade my powerline network devices to a mesh network. All the reviews tell me that the Netgear Orbi mesh wifi system is the best. Looking at the range of devices I see there is Orbi Cable Modem Router (CBR40).

My question is, would this one device replace both my Optus Netgear modem AND my Fritz Box?

regards

Michael

Re: Should I buy a Netgear Orbi Cable Modem Router (CBR40)?

petergdownload

Not directly related, but you might like this thread

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

Re: Should I buy a Netgear Orbi Cable Modem Router (CBR40)?

SillyGogo

@MichaelG Is that an Australian model? Looking at the specs, it seems to replace everything, including the cable modem and wifi router. BUT, with cable modem, not all are support by the ISP, even supported one might have to have the modem's MAC address added on to the server. Maybe contact Optus technical support and see if Optus allows you to add a third party cable modem to the network. 

If you are keen on the Orbi then keep the exisiting Netgear modem and just get the Orbi RBK50 and use it a a wifi router and mesh network. There are some one special or look on gumtree. Might put mine on gumtree when I have some spare time.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
68 Kudos
48 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos