Searching...

Setup help for modem and router

[ Edited ]
Battler

Hi,  I have n Optus AC800s Mobile Broadband modem. I also have a Linksys AC2600 Mu-MIMO Gigabit Router. I also have an extender, which whilst extending the range seems to reduce my speeds.

The AC800 has limited range and I wish to extend that to other parts of the house but having something better than an Extender.What do I need to extend the AC800 or to get the Linksys AC2600 working. Do I need another modem? A Cradle. Etc?

Your help and suggestions in helping me set my system up would be appreciated

Regards

Battler

Re: Setup help for modem and router

SillyGogo

there are few options available depending on your enviroment and budget. Using the Ac800s with an extender will decreased the performance. what is the model number of your linksys? check if it supports 4G failback, if yes then you can plug the Ac800s to the linksys's usb port and use the linksys to send the wifi. That would be the cheapest option for now.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Setting up Router

Battler

Hi, I am badly in need of some pro help! I have purchased a Linksys AE8500 wifi router. To set it up it needs to be hooked into my modem through its internet port. It does not come with CD setup. Problem is, the only modem I have is an Optus AC800s portable modem of which it only has the one charge port, which can also be used through a usb port.

Basically I want to use the Router to extend the Modems range whilst in my house yet still retain the portabiltiy of the Modem. Any help will be appreciate. 

P.S. I am not a computer wizard, more of a 2nd grade beginner, so please dont make the info too technical! 

Extending AC800s range

Battler

Hi, I am badly in need of some pro help! I have purchased a Linksys AE8500 wifi router. To set it up it needs to be hooked into my modem through its internet port. It does not come with CD setup. Problem is, the only modem I have is an Optus AC800s portable modem of which it only has the one charge port, which can also be used through a usb port.

Basically I want to use the Router to extend the Modems range whilst in my house yet still retain the portabiltiy of the Modem. Any help will be appreciate. 

P.S. I am not a computer wizard, more of a 2nd grade beginner, so please dont make the info too technical! 

Re: Extending AC800s range

Davelew

Hi

I don't think you can as you need an ethernet port.

I would have a look at the TP-Link TL-WR902AC mobile router.   I have bought one on ebay for $43 for use when travelling in my caravan to extend the range of the mobile broadband modem.

You can connect over wifi to your AC800S.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Re: Setting up Router

Ray_YC

This has already been responded to here.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Battler

Hi, I have tried connecting the AC800s to the Linksys Router so I think it does not have Backfail. Linksys support could not give me a clear answer.

The full details of the Router are: AC2600 MU-MIMO Gigabit Router. Model No. Ea8500.

And Thank you! 

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
SillyGogo

Using the default Linksys firmware does not support USB 3g/4g failback. There is an option, be warned : try at your own risk, I haven't tested this method with a Linksys router. 

1. Install a DD-WRT firmware: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_EA8500

2. configure the router to use the USB port for failback https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Cellular_Phone/USB_Modem_as_WAN_connection

OR

Get a router that can accept a sim card like Tplink MR400

or use the original netgear Aircard smart cradle

Re: Extending AC800s range

Battler

Hi Dave,

The TP Link TL-902AC Router would seem to bridge my range problem. Its a pity it did not run off battery, which would make both (the 902AC and AC800s) independant. Like you said they are cheap enough from EBay.

As you say, you have one. Does it solve the range problem for you. Are there any good points about it or for that matter, bad points.

I am asking you as you have hands on experience and would know the pro's and con's.

Thank you for your help!

Regards

Battler

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
72 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
27 Kudos