cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted

Re: Setting up Optusnet Email - POP3 VS IMAP

Sorry to hear about your friends Optusnet email issue, @WFrench. We wish for her speedy recovery. Are you able to send emails directly from → Webmail. Please double check our email settings → here. Is your home internet with Optus too? Are you able to connect to an Optus internet Wi-Fi so that our support team can troubleshoot further. 

If the issue still continues then we will need to look into her email account to investigate further. We don`t have access to customers account on this public forum. She can contact our support team whenever she is feeling well directly either via the → messaging service or by calling them on 131344 - Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm Sat: 9am - 5pm AEST to assist her further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Kartika,

"Are you able to send emails directly from → Webmail. "    Yes.

"Please double check our email settings → here."  Have done numerous times.

"Is your home internet with Optus too?"  No.  But if I use her account at my place with a non-optus SMTP server it works.

"Are you able to connect to an Optus internet Wi-Fi so that our support team can troubleshoot further. "

Not until she gets out of hospital.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Karloucho,

Under Thunderbird, a default sent folder called "Sent" (with the airplane icon) appears under your account <hidden>. On Optus server, the sent folder is called "Sent Mail".  The two are not the same folders.

If Thunderbird has been set up to see all the folders on the Optus server, then you will see both “Sent” and “Sent Mail” folders in Thunderbird.

To fix this issue, set up Thunderbird so it selects the “Sent Mail” folder on the Optus server by going to:

1. “Account Settings” in Thunderbird which is found by clicking on your username.
  2. Go to “Copies and Folders”,
  3. Then under “When sending message, automatically:”
  4. Select “Place a copy in.”
  5. Select “Other”.
  6. Select “your username”. A list of the folders on the Optus server will appear.
  7. Select “Sent Mail” folder not “Sent”. This should now display “(airplane icon) Sent Mail on hidden
  8. There should now be a folder called “Sent Mail” with the airplane icon. A “Sent: folder will still exist and this time without the airplane icon.
  9. Any sent mail will now appear on both the Optus mail Server and your Thunderbird mail under the “Sent Mail” folder.

As an aside, if you were to right click the folders "Sent" and "Sent Mail", have a look at the properties, and there are mapped to different locations.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hidden is meant to be your username
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Shaz...., It's been a while but I finally got back to this....good thing I didn't put any time into solving it, as you've provided me with the fix, although the "Sent Mail" folder now appears under "my username/ Inbox" for some reason - in fact all my system and, all good custom folders on the Optus Mail Server inc Drafts, etc all appear in Thunderbird under "my username/ Inbox". It's a bit confusing at the start, but now I know it's all good - might start using Thunderbird again. Many thanks
Strangely
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Why is it I only have these issues with Optus?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @JJ_Tex,  we'll have to investigate the fault and then only we can comment why is this happening. Please contact techs from My Optus App or message is at Facebook as mentioned earlier and we'll assist. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Don't worry about it, mate, the problems are too numerous to count. Just your simple reply got me 3 responses with 2 different subject lines. Your support systems are a joke. One thing you may be able to answer for me is why Optusnet has such a low storage capacity (500mb) for webmail. It would be causing your support team more headaches than probably anything else you deal with. Storage is so cheap, do the right thing by your customers. We pay for the service and get a pathetic 500mb. Yahoo gives 1tb away for FREE! And, their webmail client is light-years ahead of the Optus webmail. I'd be embarrassed if it were my product.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I agree with you there, but I think the simple answer is, that even though Optus provide email accounts to their subscribers, they don't really want to encourage them to use the service, or they'd have to put more resources into keeping it up-to-date and providing support!

It's probably of not much use to you, but the silly thing from a user pays perspective is that you are allocated 500 MB per email account, not per subscriber. It means one subscriber can have 5 different accounts (as we did when our kids were young and living at home) and be allocated a total of 2.5 GB on their email server, but if you only have one address set up, you only get the 500 MB

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Sorry if you feel that way @jj_TE. Rest assured I have tagged your post as feedback to the relevant team for review and future reference. Apologies once again and we appreciate your patience. Kartik

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos