cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Setting up Optusnet Email - POP3 VS IMAP

Thanks for advice. A "sent" folder definitely exists on the server. I did notice that it was the only folder that I hadn't subscribed to in Thunderbird, but rectifying that did not fix my issue. I do have a SENT folder in Local Folders and it does ask if I want to save the email there, which is a non-ideal option for me.
When I get time I will try reinstalling as per your instructions, though I only installed 2 weeks ago (just used Webmail until then) due to the amount of Spam that wasn't being filtered out by Optus.
Thanks again. I'll update you later today
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thunderbird has a built in junk control.  Go to Tools > account settings > junk settings then tick 'trust junk mail headers set by' & I use SpamAssassin

I don't know if it works or not or if it is a learning program, but at least it is trying, something Optus ain't doing

have a good 1    🙂

have a good 1 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

I have found the T'bird junk function to be pretty good; just mark messages as junk and it 'learns' pretty quickly to send repeats straight into the junk folder. Just remember to empty the junk folder regularly and ensure you 'compact folders' immediately after emptying it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

SMTP port 25 with TLS works for me too- thanks GeeZed (no thanks Optus for wasting my time)
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi,

I can't send emails using my optus email account on my phone or ipad.  I have checked the set up and ports.  They appear to be correct.  Is port 25 blocked ?  If so, why is it the default setting ?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

This is what you need, Tynkerbelle:

Email Settings.PNG

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team can be reached 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Am trying to help out a friend who's in hospital to get her email working again. She is also having a similar problem with the SMTP server, she can receive emails but gets a timeout error when trying to send, have tried all the settings in this thread and am getting the same problem on 3 different PC's.  Her account was working fine until recently. I can log into webmail so her user name and PW are correct.  And I can send if I select a different SMTP server (not the Optus one).  So can anyone PLEASE help me try and figure this out?  I'm not PC noob either and have been in the space for decades.  OPtus support are no good as I am not the account holder but they should at least be able to give some working SMTP settings??

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Keep in mind that the settings in this thread for outgoing mail (ie using mail.optusnet.com.au on port 25) will only work as-is if you are connected to the OptusNet fixed network (ie DSL, Cable or NBN) or mobile network.

If your friend is in hospital and potentially using a laptop via WiFi, you need to ensure that whatever mail client they are using that they enable authenticated SMTP which passes the username and password as part of the sending mail transaction. Where this option is would depend on your mail client.

---

Please note that I am not employed by Optus and as such any views are my own and the information provided is (at best) general only and does not take into account your dreams, aspirations or financial circumstances.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

I was in a NSW hospital last week and used its guest-access wifi successfully. I use Thunderbird as my email client, and my SMTP settings are port 25 with no security. Those settings worked successfully over several days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for that.  She doesn't have her computer with her in hospital, it started playing up at her home.  Also I am getting the same problem on 2 different PC's at my place with that account (all other accounts working fine) so it's gotta be an Optus problem somewhere.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors