cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Setting up Optusnet Email - POP3 VS IMAP

Hi newline,
The only way to get a secure outgoing SMTP connection working with an optusnet email account is to use port 25, with outgoing authentication ON, and security set to TLS or STARTTLS.
Note that SSL will not work over port 25. You must set the account to TLS or STARTTLS.
Also some Outlook versions offer "SSL/TLS" as an option. This also doesn't work. If you have this option choose STARTTLS instead, which does work.
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@GeeZed  Thank you very much for taking the time to investigate and to respond here.

@Dan_C  Please advise if Optus still regards their instructions to be correct. If so, why don't they 'work' for some of us?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Here are my Thunderbird settings that worked through 4G broadband,

so it should work on all (I hope)

server name:-  mail.optusnet.com.au

port:-  25

connection security:-  STARTTLS

Authentication method:-  No authentication

I hope this helps everyone as Optus has gone AWOL on this subject

have a good 1 🙂
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@the_Unforgiven  Not only on this subject. Only favorable replies can be anticipated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

That is bad, very bad.
Does Optus treat its customers like crap? YES
Do Optus go AWOL in threads? YES
Do Optus now resemble Helstra? YES
Well, they are the YES mob

have a good 1 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

None of the settings above worked for me, Optus's support is crap - they just try to fob you off to Microsoft Support saying 'their is nothing wrong with our email because webmail works'. They told me that 465 over SSL was supported, well obviously it isn't, otherwise it would work. I'm not an inexperienced end user - a systems engineer with 20 years or more experience.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

The consensus seems to be SMTP you need to use port 25 - and it can be either insecure (which I wouldn't recommend), or using TLS for security.  Port 465/587 don't seem to respond at all.

Now whether your mail client supports this setup is another matter altogether - I send most of my mail through Gmail's web client and it works OK.

---

Please note that I am not employed by Optus and as such any views are my own and the information provided is (at best) general only and does not take into account your dreams, aspirations or financial circumstances.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Try:-
mail.optusnet.com.au
port - 25
default - 587
Connection security - STARTTLS
Authentication method - none
have a good 1 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a heap for that info. Your settings work for me using Thunderbird client on Windows 10, but it will not save a sent email to the server. Comes up with error saying "Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder (Sent) due to network or file access errors". A further window says that a SENT folder does not exist on the server. Does anyone else have this issue?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am glad that the email got sent, no thanks to no help from who is this mob that doesn't help its customers again, oh that's it, Optus; useless bunch they are, thought about leaving, going to a decent RSP like Aussie Broadband?

Anyway, doesn't the sent email show in your sent folder in Thunderbird? If you don't have a folder called 'sent' in Thunderbird, just right click your user name in Thunderbird & create 'New folder' and call it 'Sent'.

If you already have one of those, my first thought was if it was not on the server, that is an RSP problem; but I don't get it.

Another one is to re-install Thunderbird. It sounds scary because first you have to close down Thunderbird & download the latest edition from Mozilla. Before you un-install Thunderbird, copy these two folders over:- 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird' & 'C:\Users\Bear\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird'. Copy to your desktop or whatever.

Un-install Thunderbird then re-install it & run it once; it doesn't matter what you do just click OK or cancel then close it & then find those two folders (Mozilla Thunderbird & Thunderbird) and delete them and copy over those 2 folders that you copied to your desktop before; I have done this for years & have done the same to Firefox, but folders are in different places in Firefox
Post back here to let us know how you went
have a good 1 🙂
0 Kudos