cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Setting up Optusnet Email - POP3 VS IMAP

The way you configure your email for your mobile device or computer can affect the way emails are stored and your ability to read and download emails across your devices.

We’re going to explain two of the most commonly used email setup configurations, which type you should use and of course how to go about setting it up yourself.

Note that common email clients tend to auto configure IMAP by default. If you’re using an Optusnet email address, you’ll find our steps for manual configuration of POP3 and IMAP most useful.

Finding your Optus webmail username and password

Your Optusnet email address is the same as your Optus Broadband username. You can find your username online via My Account, or simply refer to your bill. If you’re unsure of, or you’ve forgotten your password, contact us and we’ll send you a temporary password.

If you’re looking to setup your email on a desktop or laptop, check out our instructions for using an Email Application with Optusnet email.

What is POP3?

To put it simply, the POP3 Protocol (Post Office Protocol version 3) has been designed to download emails from the email provider’s mail server to your local device i.e. your mobile phone. Any changes made on a POP3 email account will not flow through to other devices with an IMAP set up.

Now, your mail application whether that’s a physical app such as iOS mail or webmail (browser version) downloads all emails from the server (un-read email or emails that haven’t been downloaded previously).

Once the email has been downloaded, it’s deleted off the primary server. If you’re using an email client with limited storage capacity, a POP3 account will do away with the nuisance of constantly deleting emails to relieve storage space.

What's the downside of using POP3?

This is where things start to get a bit tricky, especially when it comes to access your email across multiple devices.

• When you send an email, the sent email is stored locally (from the client from which it’s been sent). You’ll be unable to view sent emails from other devices i.e. your Desktop.
  • Like the above, when you delete an email locally, it will not be deleted from other email clients that have also downloaded that email.
  • POP3 makes it incredibly difficult to sort email across devices. For example, you’ll be unable to see when you’ve read and the date you read it.
  • If you’ve set up specific folders, a POP3 account will not be shown in the same format. POP3 accounts will simply show your sent and received folder.

Who would this suit?

If you only use a single device to check your emails, or If you’re using an email client with a set or limited storage capacity. You can download your mail and wipe it off the server to stay under the storage quota.

Note that most major email clients such as GMAIL are automatically configured for IMAP. You can always quickly jump into your mail settings to be completely sure. For manual set up, you’ll need to follow the below instructions, (we’ll be using an Optusnet email address for our example).

POP 3 - Incoming mail server settings for Optus net email

POP3 (incoming) Mail Server

mail.optusnet.com.au

Username

Your email @OPTUSNET.com.au

Password

Your Optusnet email password

Port (without SSL) 

Port (with SSL) 

POP 3 - Outgoing mail server setting for Optus net email

SMTP (outgoing) Mail server 

mail.optusnet.com.au

Username

Password

Your Optus net email password

Port (without SSL)

Port (with SSL) 

Click here for a complete device/email set up instructions.

What is IMAP?

Typically, at home or at work we use a myriad of devices. We might prefer to use our smart phones as an easy way to catch up on email whilst on the commute to work. We’ll then make a switch to our laptop/desktop when we’ve arrived in the office.

The IMAP protocol stores all your messages on the server. That means when you make a change on the email client you’re using on device i.e. delete an email, that same email will be deleted from the sever entirely.

With an IMAP account, you’ll be able to view/download sent emails, view the time the email was read and see all the folders you’ve set up on your primary email client.

The downside of using IMAP

If you have a rather large history of emails and the email provider you’ve chosen has limited storage space, you’ll find yourself constantly deleting old emails to make room for new ones. Using POP3 prevents the remote email server from running out of space.

Who would IMAP suit?

If you find that you’re jumping from device to another, IMAP will allow you to sort, store and retrieve emails across all your devices. Perfect for those who store their work emails on their phone, but also work from their tablet, desktop or laptop.

Most major email clients such as GMAIL are automatically configured for IMAP. You can always quickly jump into your mail settings to be completely sure. For manual set up, you’ll need to follow the below instructions (we’ll be using an Optus supplied email address for our example).

IMAP - Incoming mail server setting for use with your Optusnet email

IMAP (incoming) Mail Server 

mail.optusnet.com.au

Username

Password

Server port (no SSL)

Server port (with SSL)  

IMAP - Outgoing mail server settings for your Optusnet email

SMTP (outgoing) Mail Server 

mail.optusnet.com.au

Username

Password

Server port (no SSL)

Server port (with SSL)  

Click here for a complete device/email set up instructions.

Want to learn to more? Check out our Optus Webmail FAQ's. 

Having trouble with setting up your Optusnet email on your devices? Join the conversation and Ask the crowd a question. You can also drop us a comment below and we'll do our best to help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Setting up Optusnet Email - POP3 VS IMAP

Using Thunderbird (latest version) with an Optusnet mail address, I use ports 110/25 for in/out mail. I am able to use port 995 for incoming mail (selecting SSL), but port 465 will not 'work' for outgoing mail (selecting SSL).

Would Optus please clarify/confirm the correct SSL port setting for outgoing mail using Thunderbird.

0 Kudos
Contributor whattalkingyou
Contributor

@newline wrote:

but port 465 will not 'work' for outgoing mail (selecting SSL).

I aggregate my email in Gmail, and for my OptusNet email, I get Gmail to send via port 25 with TLS for secure SMTP.  I've never had any luck with the alternate ports (465 or 587), but so long as security works on port 25 then I'm happy.

I've just had a very quick look at Thunderbird, and I can't get the combination of port 25 and SSL/TLS to work (it seems to assume that secure SMTP will be on port 465).

---

Please note that I am not employed by Optus and as such any views are my own and the information provided is (at best) general only and does not take into account your dreams, aspirations or financial circumstances.

0 Kudos
Contributor

@Optus wrote:

Now, your mail application whether that’s a physical app such as iOS mail or webmail (browser version) downloads all emails from the server (un-read email or emails that haven’t been downloaded previously).

This is incorrect.  OptusNet Webmail (https://webmail.optusnet.com.au) by default is a web front end for IMAP.  It doesn't "download" emails as such, but displays what is on the OptusNet servers.

@Optus wrote:

If you’re using an email client with limited storage capacity, a POP3 account will do away with the nuisance of constantly deleting emails to relieve storage space.

Having to constantly delete emails would indicate that your mailbox on the server is full, rather than the client.  In the case of OptusNet email, the server storage space is 500MB.

@Optus wrote:

With an IMAP account, you’ll be able to view/download sent emails, view the time the email was read and see all the folders you’ve set up on your primary email client.

This would be, at best, client specific.  So while you can see whether a message is read or unread, you couldn't see on your iPhone the time/date you read a message on your PC (or even the original time you read it on your iPhone).

@Optus wrote:

If you have a rather large history of emails and the email provider you’ve chosen has limited storage space, you’ll find yourself constantly deleting old emails to make room for new ones. Using POP3 prevents the remote email server from running out of space.

Since this post is about OptusNet email, we'll assume that the "email provider" has given you 500MB of online storage.  You can check how much you have used by loggin into Webmail (https://webmail.optusnet.com.au), Click on Settings at the top of the page, then Webmail settings on the left which will show :-

webmail.pngWebmail settings, showing amount of space used

---

Please note that I am not employed by Optus and as such any views are my own and the information provided is (at best) general only and does not take into account your dreams, aspirations or financial circumstances.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

For completeness (of my earlier post), I also have a Gmail account and it uses ports 995/465 (Thunderbird, too) successfully. I have to assume that Optus blocks port 465 for mail on the Optusnet mail server. NFI why they would do that and post that it's the way to go. Typical Optus not knowing what the right and left hand are doing. Shouse service, as per usual.

PS: Wonder if there'll be a reply/clarification.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm not sure why I can't set Thunderbird to use port 25 and TLS together - because arguably that would solve your problem.  The Gmail webapp can send mail to OptusNet this way, but it seems that encryption and port numbers are tied together in Thunderbird.

@newline wrote:

PS: Wonder if there'll be a reply/clarification.

You never know.  Hopefully Smiley Happy

---

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey guys, I've sent this thread across to the product time to review. First, I want to ensure that the settings we've listed are still current. We'll also see if we can get some of your questions answered. Hang tight, I'll respond back when I get some answers. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Dan_CThanks.

0 Kudos