Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Secure Mode in Optus Webmail

Logging into my Optus webmail account has become increasingly slower and now can take up to 10 minutes or it fails to log in at all.  That is using "Standard" option under security. If I click on the "Secure" option it logs in straight away.  Once I log out and then go to log in again it reverts to the "Standard" option. 

I have tried clicking the secure option and bookmarking the page but the same problem occurs.

Is there any way that the "secure" option can be turned on permanently

Thanks

Wheelbah

6 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Secure Mode in Optus Webmail

@Wheelbah  It you have a Bookmark / Favourite to webmail saved see if you can edit it so that uses https:// instead of http:// or retype the webmail link using https:// then save the Secure Bookmark/ Favourite.

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Tigers1719

Thanks, tried that but no luck, still reverts to "standard" option when opening, Frustrating

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mine somehow defaults to secure, but it is also VERY VERY slow - opening, loading, transferring mail to folders - it doesn't matter what i do it takes forever. Occasionally I get an Error, saying connection to the server is lost, but i have not lost internet connectivity and everything else is responsive (other than Optus webmail).

On my phone it works fine, but on my laptop - no go.

What's going on?

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Good question!

My email is all of a sudden "defaulting" to the secure option so I can log in, albeit at snail pace.  The rest of my experience is as described by @AuntyMoo 

I have experienced this problem for in excess of two years and the standard reply from Optus is.  "It is a free service with no guarantee so you should use some other service. "  and 2.  Optus is working in the background improving the service to bring you the best customer service!!"

I have had both bigpond and TPG previously and never experienced anything like this Optus problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @AuntyMoo,

Apologies for the experience you've been having with your webmail.

This is currently being investigated by our teams. The fault ticket is 22793934. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am wondering if in non-secure mode the email password is transmitted as plain text and such is able to be intercepted by anyone with access to the physical layer of Optus network.

I wouldn't be surprised.

0 Kudos