Searching...

Seaford 3198 Suffering from Buffering

CemBilici

A few weeks ago we received a letter from Optus in the mail telling us the cable service would be offline due to street work to "improve" out service.

Ahuh. Improve.

Since this work, we now get abysmal speeds of an evening and yesterday (Anzac day public holiday).

I logged a ticket the other week and the person confirmed it is network congestion due to NBN and that it was being worked on. I know we will be on HFC, or possibly FTTC now, when we atually are on NBN but as far as I know we're not yet. Anyway, he advised to post here to get updates on the situation.

I have to say this is pretty bad especially given the recent news of people getting free speed boosts on Telstra cable on both down and uploads. What gives?

Re: Seaford 3198 Suffering from Buffering

petergdownload

Hi Cem,

Unfortunately the sevice representative gave you the stock standard (false) excuse for poor performance. NBNCo has nothing to do with the Optus HFC network and the Optus HFC network will not be used to provide any NBN services. in fact it is scheduled to be scrapped entirely in a few years.

It does seem like they've stuffed up something in the 'fix'. Are you saying you get ok speeds in the day and bad speeds in the evening? This is probably congestion however its due to Optus not the NBN. By what you describe I'd have a guess that Optus have added some other segment of the network to yours. So you now have more people using the same bandwidth. So you now get congestion. That's just a guess though. 

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about congestion as the solution requires Optus to limit other customers downloading, stop adding new customers to an overloaded network or preferably reduce user numbers. None of which Optus seems likely to want to do.

You can check your NBN status at the NBN website. Its just had a major update after a major rollout review into HFC/FTTC so IMO you can probably take the dates as reasonably accurate. If you are FTTC then you'll likely be scheduled in 2019 or 2020 though.

I agree Telstra definitely won a PR battle with their recent speed boost. This was made possible because NBNCo is currently subsidising the wholesale data prices. Optus don't seem to have passed those savings on but I believe unofficially if you request more speed directly then they may/can put you up without any cost. Performance wise though you might find you still get the slow speeds because you can't sidestep congestion. It was a definite surprise Telstra managed to increase its upload speed to 5 Mbps and I don't envisage Optus will be offering that.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

CemBilici

Yeah it seemed a bit odd that he would say that. He was supposed to be one of their network engineers, which is what I was promised when I logged the ticket.

Yeah, speeds are okay during the day. If you can count being slower than it used to be okay, but at least useable. In the evenings, can't stream a YouTube video without buffering on low quality like 480p some nights. I thought those days were behind us, but seems like not.

I think our area it slated for mid to late this year if memory serves. Yeah, just checked again and it's changed to build commenced and ETA of Oct-Dec. But hearing about congestion on NBN also does not make me hopeful at this stage. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

petergdownload

NBN Congestion is largely a result of the RSP (e.g. Optus) decision on how much bandwidth they buy from NBNCo each month. Early on many RSPs tried to boost profits by skimping on how much they bought (spare capacity) and so congestion was rife. It didn't help most just blamed NBNCo. This has improved a lot in the past six months though. The extra speed the NBN is subsidising also comes with an enforced requirement to include extra bandwidth. This has meant many more people now on plans properly provisioned for peak hour use.

FWIW Optus were in the habit of telling customers on HFC in a new NBN live area that a) They are shutting the cable down in 3 months and b) you have to sign up to a new 24 month NBN plan with Optus. You can elect to transition over with Optus at that time (and if you do a contract may be required although do ask to remain on M2M if you are on that.) However as Optus are stopping their service you are also free to end the contract without penalty and choose any RSP.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

CemBilici

However as Optus are stopping their service you are also free to end the contract without penalty and choose any RSP.

I did wonder about that part. Good to know. Thanks Peter.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
69 Kudos
49 Kudos
38 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos