cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Scam bill

I received a bill today from Optus advising that I have not paid a bill. Firstly, the account number on the bill is not my account number and it is printed on plain black and white paper not the standard Optus bill printed with the Optus logo in yellow. I have logged online to MyAccount and I am $3 in credit with no overdue bills. 

I do not have time to call Optus and be placed on hold for 1 hour as I have spent numerous hours on the phone previously sorting their other issues. Has anyone experienced this before? Optus can you please advise or do I need to contact TIO again?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Scam bill

It could be a scam trying to get your info from a party that is NOT Optus.

If its not for your service then I would just ignore that email (and definately dont click on any links or open any documents in the email).

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Ness12, certainly sounds like it may be a scam email. Best to ignore it. If your balance and payments are all up to date as per My Account, I would ignore any further correspondence similar to what you have received. This page here details how to best spot spam emails and phishing scams, and the steps you can take to report them.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I recieved a text message today saying my "recently cancelled optus account" was overdue by $2110.08. Wasn't even my account number on the text. Ive only been post paid for a year

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hmm, it sounds like a deceptive phishing email.

They can come through in a similar format as an Optus email or any company for that matter.

Telco's do appear to be a popular target. 

You can report suspect emails by following the instructions on this page

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos