cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor cesc21
Occasional Contributor

Sagemcom router reducing internet speed?

Hi 

I have an HFC connection at home. I have been provided two devices; 1 netgear modem and 1 Saegecom router. When connected to the Netgear modem directly via ethernet I get good speeds, around 90 download (additional speedpack) and 1 upload. But when i connect the netgear to the saegecom router and then connect my pc to the router via ethernet, the speeds cut down by more than 50% (40 download and 0.4 upload)

I contacted Optus support and they advised its normal for the speed to cut down by 50% when connected via saegecom router

It does not sound normal 

Any advise?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Saegecom router reducing internet speed

It's not normal. The question is why don't you plug the PC directly into the sagecom?

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

I did and thats when i figured the speed difference

Basically,
Connecting PC via cable to Netgear modem directly - good speed

Connecting Netgear Modem to Saegecom router and then connecting PC via cable to the Saegecom rotuer - bad speed

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

My mistake. So why are you using the sagecom at all? Landline phone?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

For Wifi

PC is connected via ethernet. Need the router for mobile and tablet

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The netgear should have wifi?

What model is it?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunaltey it doesn't

The modem and router models

Netgear CM500V + Sagemcom F@st 3864V3 AC

If you check the link below, you will understand better on how its set up

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=8747

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

If you haven't done so, I recommend you do a factory reset on the sagem to clear out and filter or restriction etc. Also, when you do the speed test with the sagem, turn the wifi off and disconnect other ethernet ports, just incase other devices are using it. Saying that, the speed shouldn't be affect by that much. It could be a faulty sagem too. 

Btw, both tests are done at a similar time? Because peak and off peak periods could affect the Optus HFC network. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

I have done a factory reset and both tests were done at the same time, span of 5 mins in between.

It could be a faulty Saegecom but optus replaced the device twice previously as the previous ones were faulty too

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Strange that both sagem having the same problem, have you tried different ethernet cable? Is the Netgear next to the sagam or do you have a long ethernet cable run between them? Do you have an old netgear cable modem/router or other wireless router? if yes then use them instead of the sagem and see if the speed improves. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors