Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor wfjm
Occasional Contributor

Re: Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864OP Bridge Mode

Hi Hollie

The issue is that users don't have access to the settings on the Sagemcom device, which has been closed down by the custom firmware that was loaded onto the device supplied by Optus/Sagemcom. I don't have an issue with Optus/Sagemcom not supporting the device if the settings are changed, at the moment I don't know if it is the base device or firmware that is the issue.

Is it the Sagemcom device that does not allow icmp request on the wan port or the custom firmware?

As another example, users cannot change the Sip settings, so if you want to use the home phone you a restricted to use the Sagemcom device because the Sip details are hard coded into the firmware. Optus has left a port in the 7000's range open for remote management of the device. Will Optus supply me the SIP settings for my connection?

Thanks
Wayne

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hey Wayne - There's no stock firmware for these modems available so the firmware that is in there is customised for Optus customers. The reason this is locked down is because the modem and firmware is designed to be easy to set up and use out of the box with minimal effort required. 

Generally speaking most modems on the market will be configured not to respond to ICMP request on the WAN port to discourage DDoS attacks.

If you are wanting to change SIP settings you can however you'd need to buy a third party router or VoIP ATA. Again this is due to the modem and VoIP portion to be easy to install and use and not requiring each customer to input their SIP details.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor JackB
New Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for this. Is the Sagecom still can't be configured as bridge at this point with new firmware?

My setup currently is using BYO modem but my company would like to use the VoIP on Sagecom. If I would just the Sagecom only then I will lose my dial-in VPN IPsec tunnel from our corporate office,

Is there a way of achieving this?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor EdG1234
Occasional Contributor

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for the information. i will try it when I get the NBN installed at my house this week.

Regards

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor RodneyArmour
Occasional Contributor

Great instructions Posted by   Works a treat with my new Google Wifi.... Thanks heaps.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I can't see any settings in the modem that would allow a VPN to be setup in the modem itself so I suspect that you can't achieve this with the Sagemcom crapware modem by itself. If you setup a DMZ in the Sagemcom and point it to another router then you should be able to setup a VPN from the secondary router to your destination.

So, if you want the VOIP phone ability provided by Optus then you current HAVE to use their modem/router for that but by using another router in a DMZ you should be able to set up anything else you require.

When you say "dial in" IPSEC VPN I am assuming that you mean that you want to use the router to establish the VPN so that all computers on your LAN have seamless access to the VPN? If you only have one machine that requires the VPN then you can set up your end of the VPN via your computer instead of the router. I have often used PPTP VPN connections in this way but not an IPSEC connection. My PPTP VPNs have been between my computer and a number of remote windows servers. For this you need ports forwarded to your computer and to the server to support the VPN but once you have done this then it apears to work OK.

However, wherever I can I have used an IPSEC VPN between my router and the remote router as it works more seamlessly and I believe it's also more secure.

Tags (3)
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you are not planning on using the landline option in the SAGEMCOM modem then just ditch the modem (keep it as a spare) and replace it with your "real" modem of choice. The ONLY reason to keep using the SAGEMCOM modem is if you want to use the landline facility. Note you can still use a VOIP service from someone else if you so desire - it just won't be bundled with your NBN service.

Well, actually there are other reasons to keep using the Sagemcom modem ...

* If you are a non-techie then the Sagemcom is probably fine

* If you just need basic internet access then the Sagemcom is fine

But if you want to do anything beyond basic browsing, email and netflix etc then the Sagemcom may get in your way.

If Optus EVER allow their customers to know their VOIP SIP settings then I would recommend that you ditch the Sagemcom atr that time.

Occasional Contributor Mikeoh
Occasional Contributor

OK so all of the suggestions here seem to make sense to me. 

However. It seems that they're all to do with NBN.

I can connect to Optus ADSL but not NBN yet.(Currently with TPG) So I'm wondering whether with the landline phone side of things, i.e. it not working if you bridge the Sagemcom to a router, is also true for an ADSL connection.

I only ask as currently, the phone line goes directly through the filter into the wall, it does not touch the modem at all. So will this be the same if I switched to the $80 Optus plan, not on NBN.

This may or may not sway my choice to switch to Optus. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Spuddo51
Occasional Contributor

Go back to the response from GlynR. It works perfectly and allows the landline to work.

Occasional Contributor Mikeoh
Occasional Contributor

Yes but does it work for ADSL? All the scenarios so far have been for NBN which is not relevant to me. After further research it looks like I can get away with using my own modem and router but still not 100% sure. 

0 Kudos